Self-installation of Gas Furnace

Old 10-18-04, 10:02 AM
FlyingWOOxygen
Visiting Guest
Self-installation of Gas Furnace

My house currently has a Magic Chef, Category 1, Model G6A100D-11 gas furnace installed (circa 1985). I want to upgrade to something with better efficiency and I want to do --most-- of the work myself. (I do not plan on installing an AC with this, but sometime inthe future I may want to add a Humidifier.)

When I say "most" what I mean is that I want to do all of the work except the Gas portion, where I would hire someone to connect the gas, and check my overall installation. (e.g. I want to remove the old furnace, put the new furnace in place and do all of the duct work.)

Can anyone please advise me of problems with my plan and what I am getting myself into. I have never done furnace, gas, or duct work before, so this will be a first. Any other applicable info might be helpful too please.

I do general remodelling as a hobby and am a rather handy person. I have rebuilt my deck from scratch, performed major remodelling of my upper level, built storage sheds, etc.

Thanks,

Bill

Also, as an FYI I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. My house is approx 3000sf, rancher with a walkout.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-04, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Why do you have to rework the duct work here??? Slip the old unit out and the new one in. Might have to rework the plenum some is all.

ED

Old 10-18-04, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
more efficient may mean new flue depending on efficiency you go with.

i would think that with your skills you could do it, but get a pro to start it up and check your work