transformer issue

Old 10-18-04, 12:28 PM
drewschwartz
Visiting Guest
transformer issue

I have a problem. This is the 3rd year I have lived in my house, and the 3rd transformer (120 to 24 V) that has blown out. Apparently, when I switched from ac to heat this past weekend (or really off to Heat, but the first time I use the heat all season) nothing happens. I know now to go down and check and everything is fine, but no power comes out of the transformer. I replaced it again and it works again fine, but my question is this, why does this keep happening, and what can I do to stop this. Any info that is needed I can post. Thanks.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-20-04 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-04, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Can't say why . You could put a fuse inline on it and see what if. Also you said 120Volts to 24 V. But what is the volt amps the VA on it . Could be you need a 40 or 50 VA there. If you dont have one on it.

ED

Old 10-18-04, 03:28 PM
If it is an oil furnace I can tell you why, but I'm not going into it if you don't have an oil furnace. Let us know what you are working on and we'll go from there.

Ken

Old 10-20-04, 04:49 PM
drewschwartz
Visiting Guest
It is a gas furnace, and if you want the brand, I will have to check tonite.

Forum Monitors Note:
Removed personal contact info from signature and instant messaging contact info. Doing so avoids unwanted emails and or contacts. Kindly exchange all information within the topics. Put IM and email contact info in profile only. Thanks

Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-20-04 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Remove Contact Info From Signature
Old 10-20-04, 07:46 PM
Give us as much info as you can. Is the transformer on a junction box in the furnace cabinet or is it something added somewhere else? It sounds a little odd. If you had a bad wire going out to an a/c unit that could draw current and fry a transformer but I can't see why in a system that has only one transformer why it would care what mode you were in and what in either mode would draw enough current to burn it out.

Ken