bryant plus 80 wont work

Old 10-19-04, 07:41 PM
Rowleyracer
Visiting Guest
bryant plus 80 wont work

I just bought a house about three weeks ago and I just got the gas turned on I tried the furnace Sunday it worked great and i had it on a monday and this morning it worked. After I got home from work the house was cold so I went to turn on the heat and I got nothing if i switch to fan it works but there is no heat any suggestions thanks for you help Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-04, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
more info

sounds like the transformer and fan relay is good..... is there gas to the unit? is the pilot lit, if it is not electronic ignition? brand and age will help a lot

Old 10-20-04, 03:52 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Ryan. Welcome to the Heating Furnaces forum topic and the Do It Yourself Web Site.

HUMMM...Bryant 80+

If you can see burner flames but they shut off soon after igniting, may be the flame sensor is dirty or defective. First turn off all electrical power to the heater and turn the thermostat to the off position or lower the temp to it's lowest possible temp.

Remove the sensor if needed. To clean it, use fine grit sand paper or steel wool. Clean the entire element to remove the rust, scale, etc.

If the element has to be removed to perform this task, make note of how it is currently installed and how it is attached to the electronic module, etc prior to removal. Reinstall it exactly as it currently is.

At this time also check the flame sensors electrical connection. Both of these 2 steps, cleaning and checking the connections should or could correct the problem. If not, it's possible the sensor element is defective. Replacing, providing this part is in fact the cause of the problem, is the only solution.

There are potentially many other parts, systems and or safety devices that can cause the problem. Main computer board, inducer fan motor or relay, etc.

The main computer circuit board also controls and regulates functions of the heater. It too may have a defective componet.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

CAUTION:
Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve!
This is a NON repairable item!

Any one of several safety devices could be the cause of the problem too. The power venting fan and or one of it's componets or safety devices could be effecting the furnace condition you described.

The ideal method for determining if either the solenoids, gas valve parts or other componets are defective, is to remove and take the entire gas valve assembly and or componets to the local retail heating parts store or heating appliance dealers retail store and have the entire assembly and or parts tested.

Electronically operated and controlled appliances often require several tests on several componets to determine the exact cause of a problem. The procedures and methods vary and at times can become rather complexing.