Goodman Heat Exchanger and Pilot Light

Old 10-20-04, 07:45 PM
steve2u
Visiting Guest
Goodman Heat Exchanger and Pilot Light

I have a 14 year old Goodman GUP0603 furnace and just had it looked at because of a delayed ignition problem (the boom when lighting). What was found is a 1/4" long crack in the heat exchanger - didn't seem to have anything to do with the delayed ignition, but I'll get back to that. As it turns out, the heat exchanger is still under warranty through Goodman. The bad news is I was quoted $900 to replace it + the cost of having the part shipped to Minnesota. Does this sound like a fair price? It seemed a little high to me.

I realized if I decide to have a new heat exchanger install, I better make sure I figure out what the delayed ignition is being caused from, since the technician didn't. I have 3 burner tubes and a small tube by the pilot to bridge the flame. The pilot is halfway between two of the burner tubes. After turning the furnace on and off multiple times, I came to the conclusion that the pilot may not be flaming up high enough so I moved it closer to the first burner tube and it seems to have temporally fixed the problem - lights right away every time. What would cause the pilot to have a low flame? I don't believe the tech ever did a gas pressure test. Could it be the furnace gas valve?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-04, 10:35 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello steve2u. Welcome to the Heating Furnaces forum topic & the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Heat exchanger still under warranty after 14 years? Your cost to replace firebox is $900.00? And the firebox is under original warranty? Something not correct in all of this. Labor and shipping costs understandable but $900.00 for the firebox also does sound fishy and seem rather high in cost.

Not likely to be a gas pressure, pilot flame problem nor a gas valve problem. Unless pilot flame is too small as a result of being dirty, having a weak and or yellow flame. Pilot assembly should than be done to clear out dust and or any other restrictions in pilot assembly.

The delayed ignition problem may not be pilot flame size. More likely a result of restricted cross over ports or slots between burners. In most cases the primary cause for delayed ignition is blocked or restricted cross overs.

When the pilot lights one burner, the source of ignition to all the other burners is between burners somehow. The crossover may be in the front of the burners. Front meaning the end nearest you and the back the farthest away from your frontal location.

Cleaning and or clearing out any obstructions which exists in the cross over ignition system, slots, ports or however one burner lights from another is the key to solving the delayed igntion problem.

In some models the burners must be completely removed and cross over areas cleaned. In some models, depending upon how the burners are arranged and where the cross overs are located, the entire burner rack must be removed.

Removing individual burners may only apply to burner arrangements in vertical furnaces. Horizontal forced air furnaces almost always have to slide out the entire burner rack assembly to access the cross overs. Sometimes applies to horizontal furnaces and center locations of pilot assemblies for cleaning them out.

Old 10-21-04, 05:46 PM
steve2u
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Sharp Advice. Judging from your icon, it looks like your a fellow Mac user?

For now, I think I'll check the pilot light gas line, I did actually check the pilot and ran a paper clip in it a few inches - seemed clean? There is a T on the end to deflect the flame towards each burner, but it seems like the crossover should be the one lighting first??? Since moving the pilot over, once the first burner lights, it instantly carries over to the other two burners without hesitation. I think the service tech did run a brush over the burner when he had it pulled out, but possibly didn't clean it that well. Maybe that would be a good thing to double check. It looks like no more than a half dozen screws to pull it out.

Thanks again! I really appreciate you taking the time.

Steve

Old 10-21-04, 07:34 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Steve

I maybe should clarify the cross over term. Not well choosen term. What I mean is however the means is to light the other burners where the pilot flame is not located. Each burner has to light from the other somehow, since the pilot is not at each burner, just at one burner.

Therefore, some means has to be provided to light the other burners. Some use a ribbon slot between burners, some use fin like shapes or devices and some burner styles use ports or slots or some means like or similar to get other burners to light off the one with the pilot flame.

Those places, slots, fins, etc have to be cleaned to be sure the path between burners is not obstructed in any way. If they are or one is, other burners will not light and delayed igntion results.

Thus the results you now obtained, possibly by moving pilot over, all the burners lighting was the cause. How you where able to move, relocate or reposition a secured pilot assembly is beyond me & unknown. Unless pilot assembly was not screwed into place where it belongs. Or some other circumstance or condition is not known. May not matter if unit is operational.