Gas Heater (No heat)

Old 10-22-04, 07:32 PM
Christine6475
Visiting Guest
Wink Gas Heater (No heat)

I have a gas heater "Payne" The blower turns on but no heat. It used to work last winter and I turned the gas off this summer. When we went to use the heater this winter it seems the pilot will not light. It has a self igniter and suggests that I do not try to light it ourselves. We turned the gas back on but it isnít blowing any hot air. Is there anything I can check? Please include the basic check list because we have never dealt with heaters before. Thanks in advance.

Model# PG8UAA036065
Serial# 0401A59371

Last edited by Christine6475; 10-22-04 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-04, 10:56 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Christine. Welcome to the Heating Furnaces forum topic and the Do It Yourself Web Site.

Is the hot surface glow ignitor glowing? Yes or No.

Does the furnace have a glow ignitor?

Or does the furnace use a sparking ignitor to light a pilot flame?

If the furnace has a hot surface glow ignitor and it does not glow, replace it. Did any repairs or changes made to the furnace since last used?

Is the air filter compartment door panel securely in place. Did you just change the air filter? Many air filter compartment doors have a safety switch which will not allow the furnace to operate, if the air filter compartment panel is not properly in place.

Basic information on both types of ignition systems and many reasons why a furnace does not light or heat, regardless of brand, model or ignition system and the solutions to those problems, can be found reading many of the existing questions already asked in this forum topic too.

Retail heating parts dealers, heating agents and part supplers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and are listed in the phone book.

Check back on your question several more times. Heating professionals and other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of current questions automatically.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, the thermostat is turned down and the gas control valve is in the off postion before attempting any repairs.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-23-04, 06:28 PM
Christine6475
Visiting Guest
Hi Sharp Advice,

Here are the answers to your questions below.

Is the hot surface glow ignitor glowing? There is nothing glowing

Does the furnace have a glow ignitor? Or does the furnace use a sparking ignitor to light a pilot flame? I am not sure. How can I tell?

Did any repairs or changes made to the furnace since last used? No, we just cleaned the filter.

Is the air filter compartment door panel securely in place? Yes, we made sure everything was put back in the correct places.

I also tried your suggestions in other posts about checking the tstat and connecting the wires together, still nothing. I think something needs to be replaced but I dont want to spend more money on a service call than the actual part that needs to be replaced. I think I can call the gas company to have them either light it or at least point me in the right direction of what needs to be fixed. If you have any other suggestions they would be appreciated.

Regards, Christine

Old 10-23-04, 09:15 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Christine

Payne furnaces often used a pilot assembly with a tiny built in glow ignitor. This type of ignitor had several wires visable noticable attached to the pilot assembly. Actual name of the part escapes me at the moment. Acn't think of the parts exact name.

Anyway, the pilot assembly on those types of furnaces using that type of pilot lighting systems are totally replaceable and not repirable. If you can remove it from the burner securing bracket that holds it in place, remove the wire disconnect attached to it and take it to the local heating parts store.

Bring the part and the brand , model and serial numbers of the furnace also. They will have the part assembly identical to the one needed and purchase it. Than install it exactly as the existing one is installed.

Hardest part of this job is getting the pilot gas tubing nut out of the pilot assembly and not lossing the brass orifice, which is likely to fall out or possibly stuck in the pilot assembly.

Pilot orifice may stick to pilot gas aluminum tubing or may not. Watch for that part. Must be reinstalled back into the new pilot assembly. Hole in orifice points into pilot assembly.

Next precaution is to use care reinstalling pilot gas tube back into pilot assembly. Difficult to remove pilot assembly and may be slightly difficult to reinstall. Once reinstalled, pilot assembly get reattached back to the burner with the two screws that had to be removed to get pilot assembly out.

Hope all this makes sense as written and explained and helps. Not always so easy to explain in a text only format nor always as easy to explain in words. Done enough of them to last me my entire life time over the last 20+ yrs.