Thermocoupler & thermostat replacement

Old 10-27-04, 04:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Smile Thermocoupler & thermostat replacement

We have an old gas, wall-vented furnace/heater in our small rental house in Pasadena, CA which, according to the gas company serviceman, has a missing thermo or thermal coupler and thermostat. The previous tenant that we recently evicted from the property removed the thermocoupler and thermostat/tstat wirings. This one faced vertical wall heater was installed in 1987 and has been working fine until recently. The only label we can find inside the heater was Robert Shaw and the numbers A108286-GI. The heater
is about 5' tall, 2' wide, about 6'' thick (not exact measurements). The gas valve is at the bottom of the heater.

I wish you could help me with the following questions:
1. Where can I buy a replacement thermal coupler in Orange, County, CA?
Does it cost a lot? Is it easy to install? How do I install the new thermal
coupler? I need to locate a source ASAP. What is a thermocoupler for?
2. How do I install a new control for the heater to turn it on & off manually
or how do I install a new, simple thermostat? Do you have any
recommendations on the kind of thermostat to use and how to install the
new wiring? The old craftsman style house is very small, about 800
square feet. There are no other vents on the wall. Old thermostat
used to be manually operated & located on the hallway wall a few feet
away from the heater.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Last edited by waiting4JC; 10-27-04 at 04:44 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-27-04, 10:26 AM
mattison's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cinti, OH
Posts: 5,547
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any hardware store will carry a universal thermocouple and a stat.

The thermocouple is a safety device that senses the heat from the pilot and sends a signal to the gas valve saying that the pilot is lit and ok to open.

The thing I would worry about is if they ripped out wiring and safeties who knows what else they may have done. For piece of mind I would suggest getting a service company to go over it before I would put it back on line.
Old 10-27-04, 02:26 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 18,386
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Like Matt said you might want a service tech to look at it. I would guess that the T/C you need there is a millivolt thermopile This keeps the pilot on and also works as a generator for power that makes the tstat work the gas valve there. The tstat should just be a 2 wire one and for the millivolt heating set up.

Old 10-28-04, 09:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up Thanks

Mattison & Ed,
Thank you so much for your time and much needed expert advice. You've been most helpful. It's the first time I've been a member of a forum and you've made it worthwhile. Keep up the good work & God bless you.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: