York Furnace Flame does not stay lit

Old 10-28-04, 01:38 PM
Roosevelt
Visiting Guest
York Furnace Flame does not stay lit

The hot surface ignitor comes and it flames for a short period and stops. It trys to ignite 2 more times and the same thing happens. The built it diagnostic LED blinks 7 times, which according to the manual, is a flame could not be established fault. According to the manual it could be low gas pressure, faulty gas valve, faulty hot surface ignitor or burner problem. I have pretty much rules out everything but the burner problem.

How do I check the burner for proper operation and could it be anything else that the manual did not mention.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-04, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the flame sensor should be a probe at the furthest burner from the ignitor. is this last burner producing a flame that is hitting the rod? if not, remove and clean your burners, if so, remove and lightly clean the flame sensor with steel wool. flame rectification, which is used here, depends on a good ground and proper polarity. did it work last year? any elec been changed? if blk from circuit breaker does not connect to blk power supply at furnace, swap them

Old 10-28-04, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The problem may be with the flame sensor. If yours has one it would be on the opposite side as the ignitor. It is just a small rod and is not fragile like the hot surface ignitor is. If you can get at it, try cleaning it with steel wool. Just rub up and down even if you don't see anything on it. Then make sure the connector is on tight and make sure that flame hits it when you restart. If that doesn't do it, you may have a control problem. York had its share of control board problems several years ago and they could tell you by the serial number if yours was a problem one. There is something with grounding too that may be an issue.

Ken

Old 10-28-04, 05:15 PM
Roosevelt
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the responses, I made sure all connections were tight and tried to clean the burners as good as I could and that seemed to work. Hopefully it will keep working. I will clean the probe once the house is heated, thanks again.