Gas forced air furnace won't ignite

Old 11-02-04, 10:42 AM
lightningjake
Visiting Guest
Question Gas forced air furnace won't ignite

Hello,
I'm at work so I don't have the model info, but here's my problem:
I have a gas fired forced air heater maybe 10+ years old? When the thermostat is turned to the point where the furnace should turn on, there is a fast clicking sound (this is nothing new, it did this before too) for a few seconds and there is a flame that appears (I'm assuming this is some sort of pilot light that turns on the furnace itself). The problem is here, the furnace will not "turn on" at this point and the "clicking/flame" process is repeated until the thermostat is turned down again? Is there a part I can replace or should I call a professional? Any help is appreciated?
Thanks, Jake

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-04, 02:32 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the gas valve turned on? Both the "manual" external valve and the internal gas valve. You probably have a "sparker" ignition system (like a stove). If it sparks it should fire, if it has gas.

Old 11-03-04, 04:01 AM
lightningjake
Visiting Guest
Well,
I'm assuming the valve(s) are open because the furnace was working one day and then it just stopped. Maybe there is a stuck valve? Any way to test this safely?

Also, it is a Dayton model furnace, installed in 11/89

Old 11-03-04, 04:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure about Dayton I think they are through Grainger. What you have is electronic ignition, and it is succesfully lighting the pilot "it sounds like". You will want to check and see if your unit has a thermocouple or flame sensor. Which ever it has it will either need cleaned or replaced. Another thing to check is if you have 24v at the gas valve.