Rheem heater gone cold

Old 11-02-04, 07:10 PM
yerblor
Visiting Guest
Rheem heater gone cold

I have a Rheem furnace that is about 8 years old. It stopped heating this season and I troubleshot it to the gas valve. My old Honeywell valve had an open coil and would not pass the gas through when energized. I replaced the valve with a White-Rogers valve that only used two of the four wires that the Honeywell valve used. After a few attempts to start the furnace after replacing the valve, the furnace lit off and heat was once restored to the house. By morning, the furnace was doing the same thing. I have good pressure to the valve and thought that there wasn't enough pressure making it through the valve and adjusted the pressure up slightly to see if it improved the situation.... still no light off. The complete cycle works just like the manual reads except the furnace does not light off. What could be the problem? I checked the orange hose and it is not plugged ( it was recommended by someone that had a problem before). Any suggestions? Thanks, Victor

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-04, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you have 24v at the valve?

Can you even hear the gas flow when it calls?

What did the other 2 wires go to that you didn't use?

Does the pilot work?

Be very careful playing with a gas valve.

Old 11-03-04, 07:26 PM
yerblor
Visiting Guest
Yes I have power to the valve....over 30 volts

I don't here the gas flow... just the valve energize

I don't know what the other wires went to... the guy at the furnace place said that I did not need them... and the valve did light off after installation without the wires hooked up.

There is no pilot.... the carbon element glows for 34 seconds and the valve energizes for 9 seconds about 20 seconds into the element glow... since there is no light off with the gas, the valve closes after 9 seconds and the element stops glowing shortly after that. Then the furnace cycles through again with the same results. Victor

Old 11-04-04, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure where you are located but around here residential furnace gas valves are 24v. You need to check and see what yours is rated at because if it's a 24v valve 30 plus volts could burn it out.

If you are hearing it click though you should be able to hear the gas flow even if the fan is on or not.