Replacing old thermostat

Old 11-03-04, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing old thermostat

I'm trying to replace the old Honeywell manual thermostat with a new electronic one. The instructions say I should find some letters near the 2 wire connections to determine which is the transformer and which is the gas valve, however, I've looked all over the thing, even on the rear of the mounting bracket and can find nothing. I have 2 wires, 1 blue, and 1 blue and white. The blue wire leads to the mercury tube. Can anyone advise as to which wire is which?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-04, 05:07 PM
Wink

You dont say what you have there????? INFO INFO helps us a lot. I take it you have gas heat only when you say two wires. So in the tstat you should have a R and W. The R should be the wire from the transformer and the w should go back down to the gas valve. So if that is what you have Just put one wire on R and one wire on W. Now you sure you have a 24V set up off a transformer or do you have a millivolt set up ? If so make sure you have the right tstat to use for it.

ED

Old 11-03-04, 05:20 PM
Thats the problem as I said, the R and W aren't marked on the tstat, I can't tell which is which. The new tstat is millivolt-24v compatible, I have oil fired furnace.

Old 11-03-04, 05:38 PM
Wink

If you have just two wires put them on the tstat they dont matter witch way they go. You say MillV and 24 V?? dont know what to tell you to set the anticipator at there for oil.You did service the burner, new nozzle, filter check pump pressure.

ED

Old 11-04-04, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the help Ed, I did some hunting and found some diagrams of different model Honeywell tstats (my model was mysteriously absent) but they were all the same for the wire hookup, so I hooked it up and it works ok. I've had the furnace inspected and am getting the firebox replaced and getting it cleaned and serviced. It is not our primary heat source, we use a pellet stove most of the time.