gas forced air heater wont blow warm air...

Old 11-04-04, 03:11 AM
kboxster
Visiting Guest
Exclamation gas forced air heater wont blow warm air...

Hello everyone!
I have a Trane combination forced air heater/central air conditioner that is gas/electric. I believe it is the XE 1000 model. The problem is that the heater turns on and you can here the suction of the unit but the air that is being forced through is not warm. It was working fine a week ago, but seems to not want to work anymore. The air conditioner was also working fine during the summer. THere are not any funny noises either. I was hoping for some diy knowledge on how to fix this problem or at least the cheapest alternative.

I am also wanting to change the thermostat from a "Lux" mercury one to a "ritetemp" model 8022c digital programmable thermostat. THe older thermostat has the wires lettered but it also has jumpers between certain letters... when i replace this with the new will i need to include the jumpers too in the same positions?

*sorry to ask so many questions in one post, i just didnt want to take up undue forum space...

thank you for any replies!
it is also freezing right now!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-04, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As for no heat, have you checked to see what type pilot or ignition source you have? Also is the switch at the furnace turned on?

On the stat change out you will have to post what connections you have on the old one and what color the wires are that land there and what jumpers what, you will also post what connection terminals the new one offers.

Old 11-04-04, 10:47 AM
Wink

I take it the blower came on.So you have power . Like Matt said just what kind and how old is the furnace here.
I dont have an XE in my books. Pilot light light??

ED

Old 11-04-04, 11:05 AM
kboxster
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

hey guys, thanks for the replies! The power does come on and it seems to be blowing... im not quite sure how old the unit is, since i just moved in; but unit looks like the Trane XE 1000

http://trane.com/Residential/Product...s/PGE_YCC.aspx

and i have seen an electrical box and a gas line coil that lead into the unit. The site says that this model uses direct spark ignition (and all the subsequent combo units all use the same sort of ignition.) Sorry for not having the exact model, ive been trying to fix the unit everyday after work in the dark with a ladder that won't reach the roof (just high enough to see the unit.)

-jim (still waking up with a cold red nose like rudolph)

Last edited by kboxster; 11-04-04 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-05-04, 12:12 AM
kboxster
Visiting Guest
Exclamation heating problem, freezing in CA

Hello,
I posted earlier and got some good advice... i have more info this time around the unit is a gas electric combination forced heating and central a/c unit that is rooftop. Trane model YCC042F1M0BC (it is the Trane xe1000 combo unit; i found the manuals listed seperately as air conditoner and heat pump under xe 1000) serial # J28156372 made in July 1994. The heat worked fine a week ago and doesnt seem to want to heat anymore. Thermostat replaced with a ritetemp tstat model 8022c and new filter added. It is a closed system that states it to be an electrical ignition system. The gas line to the unit also has a gas line that is frozen into the open position. Please advise my best course of action everyone! THanks!!!

Old 11-05-04, 04:11 AM
It's much easier if you use the same thread for this problem. When you break it up it makes it hard to follow.

Being that this unit is new to you and you have no idea what kind of maintenance was done on it in the past, I would highly reccomend getting it cleaned and safety checked by a pro.

The only way you are going to be able to trouble shoot this thing is to gain access to it, remove some panels and watch it go through its cycles to see what it is or isn't doing.

Old 11-05-04, 06:26 AM
Wink

You say heatpump Dont think so for that unit. Has no HSPF for it. Did it work ok before the new tstat??
Like Matt said get some one to go over the unit with you so you know how it works .

ED

Old 11-05-04, 06:58 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: kboxster

Heating unit not likely to be all electric heat pump. Has electric fan to circulate the air and operate the furnace and run the A/C. But uses gas to heat. Thus not a total electric unit using electric for the heating.

Forum Monitors Note:
This thread has been combind into one post from two seperate posts on the same subject in two different forum topics. Combining posts on the same subject makes it easier to read and follow along, for all concerned parties.

Kindly use the reply button to post replies, add additional information or ask questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor