Forced air or radiant heat for garage

Old 11-05-04, 04:20 AM
ae
Visiting Guest
Arrow Forced air or radiant heat for garage

I guess I'll start by saying that this might be the wrong forum but how does one pick between garages, furnaces and radiant/electric heat?

We have an attached, insulated, drywalled 24x36 garage in south Michigan that we would like to be able to heat for the rare weekend we have time to work on hobby cars. When we had other work done on the house, we had the contractor install an electrical subpanel and run the natural gas out to the garage. So we are all set to go. I had been thinking we would install an overhead forced hot air furnace. Except now we have some people telling us that we should use electric radiant type overhead heat instead.

My husband thinks that maybe in the dead of winter he would keep the garage at a steady temp of lets say 50 degrees just to make it not quite so cold. But the priority for the heat is to be able to decide very early on a Saturday that he is going to work in the garage for a few hours and would like to make it more bearable working conditions.

Which one would heat up the space more quickly and cost efficiently? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? We know one heats the air and the other heats objects. It is just hard to decide which would be preferred.

We are seeking lots of opinions.

Thanks,
ae

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-04, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

First for fuel cost go th http://www.warmair.net this will compare fuel for you.
But for what you want to do here for sure go gas. It will give you the fast pickup that you want.Can go for a gas fired unit heater. That you can hang from the ceiling. Or a gas furnace old or new furnace with a big blower in it helps with a fast pick up. Check code there for sure here a furnace flame has to be 2' up off the .
There you do want it to heat the air for sure.
ED

Old 11-05-04, 12:29 PM
ae
Visiting Guest
Ed:
Thanks for the reply. My husband looked at my initial write up and said I got it wrong. The question is whether to use a gas-fired forced hot air system or a gas-fired radiant system. I guess either would be hung from the ceiling. So could you restate your opinion based on this?
ae

Old 11-05-04, 12:39 PM
For a fast heat up go forced air. Radiant, as you mentioned, heats all the surfaces. It takes time to do that. If you were going to leave it on all the time radiant might be okay but for fast heat up....go forced air. Good luck.

Old 11-05-04, 12:53 PM
Wink

Id say NO NO NO .For what you want to do go with a furnace of some kind not a Radiant gas or electric heater. Have tried some gas and electric not to good. They just get one spot and that dont make you feel to warm.

ED