Argghh! No warm air ! thermocouple? Ignitior? Oh my!

Old 11-05-04, 06:13 AM
nick0
Visiting Guest
Help !! I only have Emergency Heat

I'm in Central Ohio curently 40 degrees
36 year old split level with furnace on lower lvl.
York Furnace mfd 9/91 this is info from furnace 073-03118-009 and where the pilot switch is is this: VR8200A 2223
24V 60HZ.
Gas heat
regular slide themostat

Without emergency heat it
Blows cold air thru vents ,
The pilot is lit. it will click on but the main (Jets? )won't light up .
It seems to have a hot surface glow ignitor There is a red/orange thing glowing by the pilot flame.
The furnace blows air but warm. the emergency heat work great .
when the furnace clicks onthe pilot flame doesn't decrease or increase in size.Also the pilot flame is blue

I have tried cleaning the area.
And the air filter compartment door panel securely in place.
I but didn't remove the thermocouple and pilot gas feed line and i'm looking for a reset switch..

Last edited by nick0; 11-06-04 at 07:31 AM. Reason: mispelling additional info
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-04, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if there is a plug on the gas valve wiggle it, you could have a bad valve.

pilot lights, no main burner...emer heat works? do you have a heat pump back up?

Old 11-06-04, 06:25 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Nick 0. Welcome to the Heating Furnaces forum topic and the Do It Yourself Web Site.

The furnace is a gas only fired heating unit. Doubt it has any emergency electric backup heating capabilities of the units I am familar with. Not a heat pump.

Furnace will blow cold air out of registers without burners being on. Fan blower works independently of the rest of the unit, except for when in A/C mode. Fan has a time delayed fan blower turn on relay. Turns on after a pre set time delay whenever the T-Stat turns on and calls for heat and fans turns on regardless, of the furnace burners turning on or not.

The exact name of the pilot assembly that furnace has escapes my mind at this moment. It has, I suspect, a combo glow coil within the pilot assembly. A small glow coil inside the pilot assembly that lights the pilot flame.

The flame than heats a safety element contained within the pilot assembly. Safety element has a very thin brass or bronze colored tube extending from it going to the safety valve. Safety is a fluid safety element.

If that is the case and the pilot assembly type on that furnace model, the safety element is defective. Lost it's internal vapor charge and must be replaced. Usually sold and installed as an assembly. Available at heating parts supply stores found in the local phone book under the heading of furnaces and heating companies and or service agents, etc.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."