Oil Furnace Efficiency

Old 11-05-04, 12:33 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil Furnace Efficiency

I live in Eastern WV, in a rancher built in 1960. It is heated with an oil furnace that's about 15 years old. My oil cost for last winter was just over $1000. The house is well insulated, but does need several single-pane windows replaced with something more efficient.

Before buying the house last year, I had the furnace inspected (by a furnace guy, not a home inspector) and he said it was in fine shape. I asked him if it would be economical to replace it anyway because of the increased efficiency of today's furnaces. He said no, that I should just wait until the furnace dies. Somehow, I don't quite believe him on this. Aren't modern furnaces MUCH more efficient that those of 15 years ago?

Old 11-05-04, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

On gas they have got them better Lets say. But if you took care of the furnace you could get what they get on the new 80% units.
Now what he said is true. keep it for sure .A new furnace will have the same oil gun burner you have right there now.
Did he service the burner??? this you should have done . New nozzle oil filter clean and check the burner. Now one thing on new furnace they put in a smaller nozzle and turn the pump up from a 100psi to 120 or higher. This can be done to the burner you have.When he sets it up make sure he has a CO2 a draft and pump gauge to work with. if so you can get 75%to80% or better out of it.

ED

Old 11-08-04, 08:03 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great, thanks. And yes, I did have the burner serviced after we moved in. Already have an appointment to do it again for this year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: