Noisy Furnace

Old 11-06-04, 06:48 AM
wjs1
Visiting Guest
Question Noisy Furnace

First fall in new house and first time user of Gas Heat. When my furnace kicks on, it makes a loud humming noise throughout the whole house (sounds like a vibration noise). Unit is located in basement, but noise can be heard on 3rd floor. I've checked the vents coming out of the unit, and tighten the sheet metal screws to see if that would eliminate, but no luck. The unit is blowing plenty of hot air and seems to be operating normally. Is this normal with a gas furnace, or is their something loose causing a vibration noise.

Thanks,

Joe Sullivan

Old 11-06-04, 06:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

lets try this first did it do it on AC?? If you turn the heat off and just turn the tstat to fan on only.What do you hear then? When the heat is on and the gas burners are on is it by them then? New home but is filter clean?? Can have lots of ifs here

ED

Old 11-06-04, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
see if it is coming from the motor, it could be getting tight. does it do it with fan in on position?

Old 11-07-04, 06:50 AM
wjs1
Visiting Guest
Filter is clean (home is new to me but about 4 years old.). Not sure if previous owner ever had unit serviced? Humming noise not present when heat is off but fan is on. Does not happen with AC on. Noise appears to be coming from within furnace, sounds like in the motor area? Again, sounds like a heavy vibration noise like something is loose???

Old 11-07-04, 07:49 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

With power off go in and check the blower wheel for any play in it. Like up and down and in and out there. Blower blades clean?

ED

Old 11-07-04, 01:37 PM
wjs1
Visiting Guest
Checked the blower assemly, and blades didn't appear that dirty although these was some dust. There was a little play, about 1/4 inch. I don't think that is where the noise is originating. I say that because when the furnace trips on, the burners and the blower are not on. However, the noise is present. Not sure, but sounds like its coming from the area where the combustion air blower is located?? I hope I'm referencing the correct parts, I'm using the installation document that I found next to my unit. My house has three furnaces, and I checked the one in the attic, and it doesn't make that loud of a noise. Could this be normal, but since the unit with the noise problem is located in my basement, the noise is projecting upward into the main living area??? Or could the combustion air blower or something in that area be loose causing a louder than normal noise? Also, to answer a question above, the noise is not there when just the fan is on. Only when the heat is on. Sorry to be so lengthy!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: