furnace/thermostat wiring?

Old 11-06-04, 06:39 PM
dsw
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question furnace/thermostat wiring?

i've been rehabbing the first floor of a house i just bought and in the process of all the work, i took the old thermostat off a wall (which i then removed) and dropped it to the basement. i've now finished the first floor, it is getting cold here in the midwest and i'd like to get the furnace going. way back when i started this project, i stupidly clipped the old thermostat off of the wiring to the furnace.

i now have a relatively short wire from the furnace (dating back to 1992); i have thermostat wire that feeds from a first floor wall to the basement, where the furnace is; and i have a honeywell thermostat on the first floor.

the furnace wiring has four wires (red, white, blue, , and green).
my thermostat wire also has five wires (above plus yellow).
we also have an a/c unit that feeds in through the furnace/ductwork.

so, is this just a straightforward connection of same-colored wires? i've tried this simple option, but the furnace doesn't click on. i've also tried a bunch of other options -- to no avail. a heating guy who was here doing ductwork mentioned something about not using the blue wire.

i'm a bit stuck here, since all the connection options i've tried don't seem to work. i'm also in a bit of a hurry since its getting cold here in the midwest.

thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-04, 06:46 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello; dsw

Emergency help.

Connect (one twist) the RED and WHITE wires together. Furnace should fire up and provide heat. Not temp regualted granted but will provide heating. providing the wires at the thermostat are connected as above and connected to the furnace. Temporary solution until more pro help arrives right here in this topic on diy.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-21-05, 06:11 PM
dsw
I'm back with a follow up on the same issue one year later. My thermostat worked great all year until yesterday. i was cleaning the basement around where the wires are connected between the thermostat and the furnace. something happened and now i can't get the furnace started.

i've checked the main power to the furnace and that works. i've also disconnected the furnace/thermostat connection and tried to just connect the white-red wires, but the thermostat doesn't start. is it possible that my furnace has finally died on us? i hope not.

any suggestions? -- it's getting cold here...

Old 11-21-05, 06:17 PM
check fuse. are you near chicago?

Old 11-21-05, 06:20 PM
dsw
where is the fuse?