New Gas Furnace Install-Code and Permit

Old 11-09-04, 10:50 AM
DumbWife
Visiting Guest
New Gas Furnace Install-Code and Permit

I hope I'm not out of line in requesting help from this forum, as I'm not a true 100% do-it-yourself person, but I am truly desperate for advice.
I need to replace my existing gas furnace (no A/C) which sits in a small closet in my hallway. My asbestos ducts are torn where the small "trap door" in the ceiling of a clothes closet has rubbed against the duct over the years. I plan to have the ducts replaced.
I live in Los Angeles and have had four different companies give me estimates on replacing the furnace and installing new ducts; I understand that the asbestos removal will be done by a different company. Each of the four companies has given me a different "story" and the prices vary by thousands of dollars. I've come to the conclusion that the 3-ton Paine furnace (this is an 80% furnace) is probably going to suit my needs, I have about 1200 sf to heat.
I was told by one company that installing the 80% Paine wouldn't allow for enough clearance to meet code. The depth of the closet is 28" and I was told that the depth of the 80% Paine is 26.something. This same company told me that I'd need to go with a 90% furnace because the code for the required clearance is -0- inches for the 90%. I'm wondering if this is true or just a ploy to get me to spend more money...
Another company told me that there was plenty of clearance in the cabinet to install the 80% Paine, yet this same company told me that "we" don't need to pull a permit. I'm not sure I understand why a company would risk not pulling a permit just to save me $200.
I don't feel that these estimators are being honest with me. I am hoping that someone could give me a little feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-04, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
first off, guy with no permit is not woried about clearances. will he do it with permit? is he liscensed?

it is not so much clearance on the furnace to combustibles, as many can sit or lay on bare wood, but the flue clearance. 6 inch to combustibles for single wall pipe, 1 inch for double wall, and 0 i believe for PVC. get some more input if possible