New home Heat/ac system componets

Old 11-11-04, 06:52 AM
carbonater55
Visiting Guest
New home Heat/ac system componets

Hello. My son is building a 3000 sq. ft. house and has had bids for complete design and install of h/vac systems. We live in toledo,oh and have moderate to harsh winters and natural gas. The queston is wheather to go with the 93% 2 stage with 16seer a/c for 7grand or the 93% variable speed with 17seer a/c unit for 8 grand Or add a heat pump (instead of a/c unit) for 9 grand. What is the pay back period for the heat pump. And, I have heard that the heat pumps life span is shorter thus, adding adding to the overall operating costs. Thanks for all replies...

Old 11-11-04, 08:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
With that big of a house I'de lean toward the variable speed.

The A/C sounds fine either one.

I don't think I'de bother with a heatpump up there.

Old 11-12-04, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i would use the 93% gas, but a lower SEER on the A/C. not enough run time on the A/C to justify such a high SEER in my opinion. heat pump with gas backup may be an option, have to look up energy cost comparisons. ed has posted a site to do this, i will see if i can find it

Old 11-12-04, 05:32 PM
carbonater55
Visiting Guest
New house

Thanks for the input.Will look for your additional info. Also, Electronic air cleaners,Worth the cost or not?

Old 11-13-04, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Dont go for the electronic filter. We have taken more out than we have put in. To hard to keep them clean and if you dont keep them clean they let the dirt right in. get and use good pleated filters all the time every 30 to 90 day when they run the units.
Heat pump or not they are just about the same as a AC
some more partsand cost more.
Go to http://www.warmair.net this will tell and compare the fuel there and if a heat pump will work .I dont see that big of cost differents for a gas unit with AC or a gas unit with a heat pump on it. But compare the fuel first.
There I go for a 93% and a 16 SEER with the V/S blower.

my .02 cents
ED

Old 11-13-04, 05:49 PM
carbonater55
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info everybody. Looks like we will save some bucks and nix the heat pump and electronic filter...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: