Direct Vent Gas Stove suddenly not staying lit

Old 11-14-04, 08:18 PM
caprig
Visiting Guest
Question Direct Vent Gas Stove suddenly not staying lit

Hi,
We have a HEAT N GLO DIRECT VENT HEATER VIENNA I and II.

The Vienna II is in the basement with a direct vent regulation venting right angle exiting outside.

My husband installed the heater last year, and it worked fine. He disconnected it to do some remodeling in the room where it is and then reconnected it today to run it after clearning it out like he does every year with our heaters.

It ran well for an hour, but because he had to replace the remote thermosat batteries, he was turning it off manually because it was plenty hot enough.

When he went to turn it on again an hour later, suddenly it would not work. The pilot stays lit (propane) with no problem, but when the flame lights, the bar with the gas holes in it is supposed to get blue with bright orange on top- it has fake logs in it.

Instead, it gets bluer and bluer, finally dancing up lacy like over the holes getting weaker until it goes out.

However, the pilot light stays lit with no problem.

Is there anything that he can check before we try to call someone? We live in a very rural area, and last time we had someone come out for the Vienna I upstairs, they made a huge mess and my husband ended up having to fix it all himself anyway and it has worked beautifully ever since.

He is willing to try anyway.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-04, 04:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
http://www.heatnglo.com/downloads/in...585_900efd.pdf

You're not about out of propane are you? If you guys have a multi-meter you can check for voltage at the gas valve while it's doing this.

Old 11-15-04, 06:14 AM
caprig
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mattison
http://www.heatnglo.com/downloads/in...585_900efd.pdf

You're not about out of propane are you? If you guys have a multi-meter you can check for voltage at the gas valve while it's doing this.
Propane level is fine, but that is a good point.....our other Vienna I is working fine upstairs.

We do have a multi-meter somewhere, have to find it in the pile of relocated stuff...

Thanks!

Old 11-15-04, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Have you checked the small vent screen on the lp regulator going to this unit or the home??? Also you say he took it off the gal line????? Dirt in the line ,dirt got into the gas valve??????Pressure regulator still locked out if there on the valve for LP?? Sure he turned the A valve all the way back on in the gas line????

ED