old house-needs heat!

Old 11-19-04, 03:22 PM
shakernva
Visiting Guest
old house-needs heat!

I have a 200 yr old colonial in Va presently heated by a single propane space heater..it never did a good job.. you guys have talked me out of ventless heaters...and I thank you!
I want to install central heat probably with ac also...house has never had central heat, so. no ductwork..
My question is:
I know I should get 3 or 4 estimates, had none yet.. I have talked to some who recommend the newer heat pumps but I am wary of them..my house is approx.1800 sq.ft..900 each floor with stucco exterior over old lapboard siding..walls are insulated R13--all windows are single pane, and old houses are drafty.
I am leaning to forced hot air..and liking propane as source. Fuel oil is readily available in this area...
Any suggestions or input? any thoughts on attic installation?
any cost ranges?
all suggestions greatly appreciated..thanks..

Old 11-19-04, 08:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic insulation is a great idea.

Along with those bids make sure they do a load/loss calculation. The ones that don't do one can be scratched from the list.

Any fuel will be good for heat, it's the install that matters.

When you say you talked to people about the "new heat pumps", they must be talking about "Puron/410". It will do just fine also.

Old 11-20-04, 05:21 AM
The truth is that the heat pumps work just fine...It's the backup that will kill you. Electric backup on heat pumps is the main reason people avoid them. If you are also going to install air conditioning, you can have the heat pump be the first stage of heat and let the oil furnace be the backup. If you set the balance point high enough, like 45 degrees, the low supply air temperature of the heat pump won't bother you as much and it will last longer because it won't have to slug away when it is freezing cold outside. You will pay more for a system like that but you will have the best of both worlds. A duct system is an important part of a new installation and it can be a part that is not planned as well as it should be. Ample returns from high and low on the wall (if it is heat and cool), sealing the seams and takeoffs in the ducts, and proper sizing for airflow can make or break a duct job. As well as a good air filter. Not the 1" one that gets jammed inside the unit either. I mean a 4" pleated paper one with its own cabinet. You will never regret hounding your potential contractors for all these things. If they tell you not to worry...WORRY.

Ken

Old 11-20-04, 07:26 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Get the 3 bids for sure and go to http://www.warmair.net
there and compare the fuel where you are. Have put in all Coal, gas, oil, LP, Nat gas over the years and have taken them out also. Right now about all we put in are heatpump's . So check the fuel cost for all.

ED

Old 11-20-04, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Have put in all Coal, ED
You put in coal systems? You're really showing your age Ed.

Old 11-21-04, 07:29 AM
shakernva
Visiting Guest
thanks for all the advice -I really appreciate it guys..I have not heard of Puron/410 heat pump specifically- I think the guys I talked to were just into heat pumps-They were primarily into new construction.It seems that oil might be the least expensive way to go- What about oil furnace with ac? Is attic installation possible or should I plan on building a small room about mid-house? Is mid house better than at one end or the other?
I think oil and propane (here) are both about $2.00 per gallon now.
thanks again for the help--any other comments welcomed!
peace...

Old 11-21-04, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I like oil units and they are good for heating a home. Yes you can put the AC on them or a heat pump. BUT I dont like them when they have to go up in the attic. Hard on the pump and if the service guy should spill some oil up there. Thats why I say dont put them up there. Small room mid-home fine. On the heat pump did you go and compare fuel cost there?
Yes the R410a works real good for a heat pump or just AC.
BUT the cost of it is high for now. Also if you have a leak and lose over 50% freon in the unit. It all has to be recoverd and all new put in.R-22 units wont be made anymore in a short time .But the R22 freon will still be made till 2030.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: