Sears Furnace : Fan still works but Furnace doesn't ignite

Old 11-18-04, 10:35 AM
trav1s76
Visiting Guest
Sears Furnace : Fan still works but Furnace doesn't ignite

I have a Sears furnace model GMP075-3. It has an electric igniter.When I turn the thermostat up the blower will kick on but when the furnace tries to light it clicks a couple times but there is no spark from the igniter and subsequently no flame. Is this just a matter of replacing the igniter or could something else be the problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-04, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is that spark ignition or hot surface ignitor? That is a Goodman model number that I believe uses hot surface. If it is and it is not glowing, check voltage to ignitor. If it is getting power and not glowing, it is bad. If it is not getting power, a limit could be open or possibly a bad board.

Old 11-18-04, 07:37 PM
cbluejoker9
Visiting Guest
Cool No heat

Is the gas valve opening? You say the igniter clicks,but no spark. It could be the ignitor but you should check to see if its grounding. Is the wire insulation broken or missing in spots or touching the burners? If you give me more info I could understand your problem better and give you more info on what to check.

Old 11-19-04, 04:22 AM
trav1s76
Visiting Guest
hvac4u, It is a hot surface ignitor. Sorry about the confusion. I will check the voltage to it tonight. The clicking sound leads me to believe that it could be a bad limit like you said. The ignitor is not glowing at all. Below is a link that has a diagram of the parts for my furnace. Just type in my model number GMP075-3. I don't smell any gas so I don't know if the gas valve is opening at all. Should I smell gas? I wasn't sure if the igntor glowing, triggers the gas valve to open or if it opens by itself(relay or something). The wires that are leading to the ignitor are fine. No cracks and they aren't touching the burners. Also, the status light on the circuit board is not blinking any error codes. I read on the back of the panel, it lists like six different error codes based on how many times the status light on the board blinks. But is doen't blink at all. Just stays on as if everything is fine. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be blinking some kind of error code if something isn't working right? Thanks again for your help guys. Hope this extra info helps.

http://www3.sears.com/

Old 11-19-04, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may be able to look at the ignitor and check to see if it's broken. If it's failed you should be able to see it. You'll be looking for 120Vac across the 2 terminals. The click you hear is probalby the relay turning the power on to the ignitor.

Old 11-21-04, 09:43 AM
trav1s76
Visiting Guest
It was the ignitor. $40 and five minutes and all is well. Thanks everybody!