furnace and heating bill

Old 11-19-04, 02:03 PM
jdett
Visiting Guest
furnace and heating bill

Hi,
I'm helping my mom buy a house. She's found a house that she wants to put an off on, but the average gas bill from the utility company is very high...it's twice as much as mine, and my house is twice as big.

I'm just wondering how much of an impact the furnance could have on the bill.....could it be really that inefficient? The furnance is natural gas, but it's bigger than my first car. I'm guessing the inspector will find something wrong with and recommend that it be replaced.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-19-04, 02:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Yes lots of them Id put the furance on the bottom of the list Insulation in the home,Walls and attic.Doors to the outside and all the windows???? Then the furnace. How big is big and how old is it. You have to look at it all.

ED

Old 11-19-04, 02:47 PM
jdett
Visiting Guest
all the windows have been replaced. So that leaves doors and insulation.....basically just need to seal as best we can, right? perhaps a programmable thermostat would also help.

as for the furnace size, we just put in a new 93% efficiency furnace in our house, and this one is at least 3 times as big.

Old 11-19-04, 05:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Dont know just what you have there in the furnace but .A lot of the old furnace you can get them up to 65%to 75% if you work on them. but like I said its all in how it is put inand what is it. Do the insulation first that will save heat and cool. Make sure that the attic has good vents in it.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: