No Flame

Old 11-25-04, 09:38 AM
elocm2121
Visiting Guest
surface ignitor not glowing

Hello All,

My gas furnace stopped working last night. It is a York Stellar Model with surface heat ignition, the pilot does not seem to be coming on Basically every thing runs like normal except the burners don't ignite. I hear and smell a jet of gas (about 2 sec) and the relay clicking but it does not ignite. I was wondering if it sounds like the igniter itself or could it be limit switch?

Last edited by elocm2121; 11-25-04 at 12:48 PM. Reason: teminology
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-04, 07:28 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello elocm2121. Welcome to the Heating Furnaces forum topic and the Do It Yourself Web Site.

If the heater has a hot surface glow ignitor, (HSI) there is no pilot and will not be a pilot flame. The HSI takes the place of the pilot flame. However, there is some models that have a tiny glow ignitor contained within a pilot assembly the does glow and does light a pilot flame.

If that type is the type that furnace has and the pilot does not light but the tiny glow coils does glow, likely the pilot assembly is restricted with dust. Try cleaning out the pilot assembly with canned computer keyboard cleaner compressed air.

Check back on your question several more times. Heating professionals and other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas and or repair methods.

Kindly use the reply button to add updated additional information. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the list of current questions automatically.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, the thermostat is turned down and the gas control valve is in the off postion before attempting any repairs.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-27-04, 06:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Take the cover off that houses the gas valve and burner compartment. Put the stat into a call for heat and watch it go through a cycle. The hot surface ignitor should get red hot. then in about 20 seconds your gas valve will click and if there's no flame sensed it will shut right down and start the cycle over.

If it is the hsi just take it out and get a new one. Do your best to not touch the surface of the new ignitor.

Old 11-28-04, 06:04 PM
mountain rider
Visiting Guest
You mentioned a surface ignitor and then mentioned a pilot and relay clicking. I'm a little confused about that. Do you have a wire in there that looks like a spark plug wire? If you do, then you probably have a spark ignition system. Sometimes the gap on the ignitor (looks like a spark plug) is too small to light the pilot. Sometimes it doesn't spark at all. Sometimes the directional bell of the pilot assembly is not pointed at the spark. Coiuld be a few things. You might try re-gapping or redirecting the pilot. If that fails, replace the ignitor assembly.
Now, if you have a hot surface ignitor, It would usually light the burner directly. A flame sensor senses flame and turns the ignitor off. If you have this type, it will glow BRIGHT RED. This thing looks like squiggly metal sandpaper. Be sure of what you have before going any further.

Old 11-29-04, 09:58 AM
elocm2121
Visiting Guest
Working but not

Thanks for all your help. I replaced the HSI and it fires up fine for me but once I reach my set temp and the furnace shuts off it will not relight when the temp drops, but if I turn the heat all the way down and then back up again a few times it will relight, thermostat?

Old 11-30-04, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sounds like it is locking out and you have to reset it to bring it back on.

is there a diagnostic or blinking light on the circuit board?