<b>Need Help</b>: Furnace & A/C Size

Old 12-02-04, 12:28 PM
Nuts4pi
Visiting Guest
Question PLEASE HELP: Conflict on size of new Furnace & A/C?

We're needing to replace our 14 year old York furnace (LP gas, 120,000 BTU) along with the 4T A/C (9 SEER). Many brands to consider: Lennox, Trane, Carrier, Goodman, Amana, York, etc. We need help to determine which one will give us the best efficient and quiet heating and is reliable (least repair history).<br>
We have a 2-story, 2900 SF home (not counting the full basement). It has 9 rooms, a 2-story foyer, 4 BR upstairs (MBR has cathedral ceiling). House was built in 1990 with standard wall/ceiling insulation. At least 2 standard-sized, double-pane windows in most rooms. Back BR upstairs has no return air duct (it's in the hallway) and only has 1 window, but 3 outside walls; 10+ degrees difference from rest of house (especially when door is closed).<br>
Two salesmen (Lennox & Goodman) told us our units were too big for our house and that the current systems might be "short-cycling" - hence, 5+ degrees temperature differences between 1st & 2nd floors. Third salesman (Trane) said current furnace is right size, but we need a <i>larger</i> (5T) A/C unit! Talk about confusing!!!<br>
<b>MAIN QUESTION</b>: What size units (furnace & A/C) would be recommended for our house? <br>
Money isn't an issue here as we feel this is also a long-term investment.<br>
Also, any thoughts on the new UV lights to kill bacteria? What about whole-house air cleaners (the power pack on our Carrier electronic unit bit the dust).<br>
If there's any other info you need, reply & I'll post it here. Thanks to all who help us narrow down our choices. Happy holidays to all!

Last edited by Nuts4pi; 12-02-04 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Edit Title
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-04, 12:57 PM
Thumbs up

MAIN QUESTION: What size units (furnace & A/C) would be recommended for our house?
For that they have to run a heat loss and AC load on the home All that bid on it should have worked it out.

That elec filter forget it for sure. We take them out all the time. Go for like a airbear pleated filter they come in a 2"4"5" work very good. Up there for the furnace Id go for a AFUE of 90% and on the AC a SEER about 14. You can go to the new R410a But you well still be able to get R22 to the year 2030.

2900sq ft two story+ basement. Id for sure go with two units here you will be a lot happier one up one for down.
The UV lamps for sure go to http://www.honeywell.com/yourhome/ and read about them

ED

Old 12-02-04, 06:01 PM
ed is right, heat load is critical. you can do it yourself online for @$50.

2 units or zoning would be the best bet, at least for even temp.

brand generally is not the most important issue... quality of install is

where you live will determine your need for higher SEER, as operating time is important... higher savings with higher run time. for instance why get a high effeciency furnace in florida? or a deluxe A/C in canada? location will determine savings

UV is great! i am getting that for my wife for Xmas!