Gas Floor Furnance Valve not Opening Enough

Old 12-08-04, 02:43 PM
lionhearted
Visiting Guest
Gas Floor Furnance Valve not Opening Enough

I have an old gas floor furnance (lathe and plaster house built in 1930). I use a T key that turns two rods that extend down to the furnance. One controls the pilot and the other controls the gas that goes to the gas burners. The one for the gas burner only turns about 1/16th around a circle and thus I only get a small amount of gas to the burners and thus very little heat. I pulled off the grate and I thought I could just pull up on the rods and I could somehow lubricate it. But the rods don’t pull up. Is there something I can do to lubricate the valve so that I can open up the gas much more? If so, how can I get down to where the valves are? Or is this heater pretty much shot and I have to replace it? If I have to replace it what are my best options? I do not see floor furnaces at Home Depot?

Old 12-08-04, 03:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace

It has been awhile that I had to service a floor furnace, they have all but gone to the way side in my part of the world. But the good news is they are servicable. If it has been some time sense it has been seviced and inspected by a professional I would suggest you call one. You would not want to invest a great deal in a unit this old. I would be concerned of a crack in the heat exchanger (the fire box) on a unit this old and the possibility of carbon monoixde entering your home. If the heat exchanger is in good shape then the unit should be pulled and cleaned. It will require going under the house to disconnect the gas supply and vent. Remove a few nails from around the inside edge of the heater just below the grate and lift it out. A new unit will run from $750 to $1100 depending on manufacturer. You can follow this link to learn more about floor furnaces and an average price. It is very important that these are installed properly and the gas supply installed new and checked for leaks. If you chose to tackle this yourself post back and you can find help on how to service the valve or replace the pilot generator. Good luck and be safe. http://www.comfortdepot.com/

Old 12-08-04, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Can see if you can buy from Grainger there. They have them. Dont try and oil the valves at all http://www.grainger.com

The cost and take it out like wrmiii said.

ED

Old 12-08-04, 09:24 PM
Sounds like it maybe pretty old..

I would be more concern about safty on the system..

Spend the money and get a new one.. It may run a little bit more effecent than what you got now.

Old 12-09-04, 11:27 AM
lionhearted
Visiting Guest
want to service it myself

Thanks to everyone who has answered. Richard, since I do not see any cracks (light from the small flame I do have) through the firebox, I would like to know how to rebuild the valve and clean it out myself.

Old 12-09-04, 01:41 PM
It not a good idea to try and work on a gas valve. I also think your insurance sure wont cover the home if you do.

ED

Old 12-09-04, 09:51 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I have worked on probably a zillion floor furnaces over my career & that work included cleaning and greasing manual control valves. This defintely is not a DIY type of repair. I don't know where you live but does your local gas co have a service dept that would do this work. I know where I worked we did it for no charge (cost built into rates)

Old 12-10-04, 10:47 AM
Like other has said, Don't mess with the valve.. They are not really design to be taken apart for repairs.. Just too risky!

Old 12-15-04, 09:47 AM
lionhearted
Visiting Guest
More info

Ok. I got it. Not a do it yourself job.

I have more information. I can actually turn the valve a full 1/4 circle like the other working furnace I have, but the flame is still very low. It is a Ward brand furnace built in Los Angeles. What could be the possible problems? Can it be repaired? If I do replace it with anothe floor furnace can I still safely use the same vents that are there already? Other than size, will I need to worry about the heat protection (to the walls) that the vent provides?

Old 12-15-04, 02:52 PM
Wink

Yes you can replace it with another floor furnace.
Have you checked the burners and the venturi in them to see if its all clean down there.

ED

Old 12-20-04, 03:07 PM
M
1/4 circle doesn't seem enough. Maybe so. I would run a wire into the burner orifice. Great place for spiders to build nest. I mentioned in another post if you have a local gas co that provides service. Do you??

Old 12-13-08, 11:07 PM
G
Wink Replace the old ones

I have the same old Ward unit---I changed the old ones out with one new unit.
This was many years ago but---I have a valve that uses the one
rod for the pilot light. This is a mili-volt unit that gets it power to run the valve from the heat of the pilot.

As I remember--turn off the gas---remove the gas line and then
remove the assy from the heater. I went to the plumbing supply store and they had a valve assy that works and has been working ever since.

Good luck.
PS--I am not a plumber--I have done this project, replaced old pipes with copper and new installation in my house.

Old 12-14-08, 09:07 AM
M
Originally Posted by Gary C
I have the same old Ward unit---I changed the old ones out with one new unit.
This was many years ago but---I have a valve that uses the one
rod for the pilot light. This is a mili-volt unit that gets it power to run the valve from the heat of the pilot.

As I remember--turn off the gas---remove the gas line and then
remove the assy from the heater. I went to the plumbing supply store and they had a valve assy that works and has been working ever since.

Good luck.
PS--I am not a plumber--I have done this project, replaced old pipes with copper and new installation in my house.
Gary
You are 4 years to late, hopefully he has heat by now. lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: