Blower motor not kicking off??

Old 12-08-04, 05:01 PM
TireFryerSS
Visiting Guest
Blower motor not kicking off??

Hello everyone!

Just needing some ideas as what it could be.

I have a roof top Borg Warner unit (yes, its really old, lol). I had it serviced, and had alot of parts replaced...and it was working great. But today, the blower motor just started staying on and after a lil while it starts blowing cold air, until the furnace kicks back on and heats the air back up.

I unplugged the unit and took the rear cover off to see what I could find, but unforunately I am not too good at hvac (which is funny because my dad owned his own hvac co. for 25yrs.). I called my furnace man, but he is swamped since the cold weather set in here in Az. He did say he could come by in the next couple of days to "adjust" it.

I guess Im just wondering if someone here could possibly give me an idea of whats wrong, and maybe walk me thru the steps of "adjusting" it.

Thanks!

TireFryer

Old 12-08-04, 05:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Dont know the unit .But it sounds like blower relay stuck on . can try and hit the side of the unit hard with your hand and see if it will stop for you. Check the wire schematic should be on the door there and see if you can find the blower relay. "This will teach you should have worked with your daddy for a time "

ED

Old 12-08-04, 08:17 PM
TireFryerSS
Visiting Guest
Thanks.

I figured it was the relay sticking and I tried hitting the side, and even tapping the relay with a screwdriver, but to no avail.

I didnt see any wiring schematic, but I didnt really look for it either.

"This will teach you should have worked with your daddy for a time "
Yea, I really wish I would have...but when I got old enough (18) to want to get into the business, we had moved out here to Az. and then he was killed in a plane crash...soo I never got the chance to learn too much . Oh well such is life. But man it would have been a great business to be in.

Old 12-08-04, 09:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It may have a regular "dial" fan control. Look to see if you got that?

See if you can turn it to turn off the fan, and on again.. Don't turn it too much..

If the fan does turn off/on, then the fan limit/control may need to be replaced.

Old 12-08-04, 09:34 PM
billrd01
Visiting Guest
Relay ?

If relay was sticking then blower would come on immediately when furnace is turned on. If the blower delays coming on until temp is reached but stays on when temp drops then it sound like the "on" (upper temo) limit switch is working but the "off" lower temp is not - of course the upper switch could be staying on too. You need the diagram figure it out. Some furnaces just use a fixed time delay to the blower also. If the limit switch is set too low then the blower sometimes will come on all by itself in the summer when air temp gets hot. I used to adjust mine so the blower would stay on until air temp got down to where it felt cold. Didn't like "wasting" that heat because the blower went off too soon after the gas turned off.

Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: