furnace trying to ignite while it's running?

Old 12-12-04, 04:39 AM
jmallen
Visiting Guest
furnace trying to ignite while it's running?

I have an older Janitrol unit. We believe it to be about 14-15 years old. We also have an older thermostat. Our problem is that when the furnace fires up, it keeps trying to ignite during the entire heat cycle clicking and then the poof of the fire up followed by more clicking and then another poof that starts it up. We also noticed that the air we were getting was barely warm and the furnace was running very often to keep up. It would finish a cycle only to restart within minutes of shutting off. So, we called in a repairman. He took the flame sensor out, cleaned and replaced it, started the furnace back up and the problem was gone. Well, 4 days later, the problem has returned w/the furnace trying to ignite while it's already running, but we are now getting hot air where we weren't before. Any chance the sensor wasn't cleaned properly? From what I've been hearing, the flame sensors are very reliable and it's not likely to need replacing? Any other ideas? I'm fearing a gas buildup and explosion?? Please help! Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-04, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like may be tstat short cycling. I would call service tech back and ask him to take amp draw to set heat anticipator. Hopefully that will take care of problem

Old 12-13-04, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flame sensors usually do last long, but yours is pretty old and they do fail.

Old 12-14-04, 10:05 AM
jmallen
Visiting Guest
Well, I called the guy back out and he said he knew what was wrong.....the "universal replacement intermittent pilot module". He was here for an hour and put not one, but 2 in that wouldn't work. He's griping about some voltage issue and then goes to his truck to make a call. Neither he nor the person on the other line could get the furnace back in working order. He gets off of the phone and tell me he needs to get another part from another store and he'll be back. So, that's where we're at right now. I had a furnace before he got here and now I have no heat at all. And I know that part is over $100, so by the time I add labor on.....WOAH!!!!!!! I'm afraid!!!!!! I'm very afraid! At what point do you say "screw it" and replace the already 14 yr old Janitrol??!!

Thanks for your input!!