need help with furnace cycle

Old 12-18-04, 08:38 AM
joolz218
Visiting Guest
Unhappy need help with furnace cycle

Hi...I need help with my furnace. It's a Sears PowerMiser, not sure how old, but has electronic ignition. I'm renting and the gentleman that owns the house has been out several times to fix it but with the holidays, I hate to keep bugging him. He replaced the ignitor/starter unit which went out earlier this week. Since then, the heat will turn on every 5 minutes and run for 26 seconds. Obviously I know this isn't right, and he came over yesterday and thought he fixed it, but it's back to doing the same thing. I'm a single mom with two kids, one of them being an infant, so I'm hoping to get some help here before the heat goes out altogether again. I told the landlord I'd look online for some tips as I'm a natural born diy'er and he can't get back out here til next week. So I'm asking for anyone's help here (that is if I can get this msg to post...third try now and keep losing it ) Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all. Julie

Old 12-19-04, 07:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hi julie

i would first clean the flame sensor, then check the pressure switch to be sure it is not dropping out. once the flame ignites, there is a much heavier load on the switch, and a weak one will drop out. also be sure the flue pipe is clear, no birds, etc, and the cap is not smashed on the roof. i think the pressure switch is the culprit. jumping it out after it ignites will determine if this is the case

Old 12-19-04, 01:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you had no luck on what HVAC has said above, I would call the landlord to have him get a service tech out.

I'd hate to see you as a renter doing more damaged than good to the land lord's equipment, then he turning around and blame you for this or that.

Tell the landlord if he doesn't call in for service, you will and send the bill to him... I've delt with landlords thats want to be "cheap" as possible. but then end up being bigger problem than it started off with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: