Thermostat settings

Old 12-20-04, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat settings

My thermostat has two different ways to hook up the wires. One to have long run times and one to have short run times. It claims to be more efficent with short run times, and I would like to know your opinion. I have a Carrier gas furnace which is 18 years old, if it matters.

Old 12-20-04, 01:24 PM
what is the make and model of tstat? never heard of what you describe. i would try it both ways to see which is more comfortable for you

Old 12-20-04, 07:46 PM
It is a Honeywell model #97-4543, Programable t stat with a weekly schedule. On the back, it has two different ways to hook up the wires. One will make long run times and the other short. The short and often run times are said to be more efficient on newer furnaces. What newer is, ???. It is comfortable both ways. Just wondering if keeping the temp up with short bursts or letting long bursts of heat and longer off times are more efficient.

Old 12-20-04, 09:04 PM
It's best to go long run time.. The on and off often is hard on the system..

In your car, where do you get the gas mileage?
-stop and go all day at stop signs?
-Steady cruse on the highway?

It takes the furnace about 10 minutes to get at it's peek effcency. So if it just runs for like 5 minutes, then you are just wasting your gas.

Another thing to think about.. If your temp over shoots on the long run cycle, your system will be shut down "longer" then you may start feeling cool before it start up again. if the system is sized right, then you should be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: