2 Story House 1st floor too cold and 2nd too hot

Old 12-20-04, 01:58 PM
hdgajjar
Visiting Guest
2 Story House 1st floor too cold and 2nd too hot

Hi,

I am a new home owner and i have bought the house 3 months back and this is my first winter in the house. My house is a 2 story house and have 1 st story about 700 Sq feet and secon dtory about 900 Sq ft.

I have the thermostat located on 1st story and having the issue is my 1st story gets very cold and that makes the Heating furnace on and drives the temperate on the 2nd flood very high.

Is there a way to contorld the temperature on both the floor evenly.

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-04, 04:06 PM
Hand's End
Visiting Guest
Our house is the same way. Too hot upstairs in winter.

I found that a damper was placed in the air box between the output ducts to the upstairs and downstairs vents. It isn't working right. I figured it should be closed in winter so more heat gets blown downstairs and then naturally rise to 2nd floor. I manually closed damper for now and will troubleshoot motor control from thermostat later. So far it seems to have helped equalize the temp better.

Our neighbor doesn't have this on his system and they close all the vents in the 2nd floor down to about 1/4" and leave 1st floor wide open. He says this helps his house.

Old 12-20-04, 05:17 PM
Another thing you can try is to leave the fan on 24/7. It wont cost you that much and will help even out the temps.

Old 12-21-04, 11:02 AM
hdgajjar
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I will try both the options and will see hot it goes in next couple of days.