Frozen Oil Line

Old 12-22-04, 03:57 PM
trojanmon
Visiting Guest
Frozen Oil Line

I have an oil furnace in my garage that doesn't get used a lot. (1/8 tank in one year) It was running fine the other night and ran for about 20 minutes tonight when it abruptly stopped. I determined it to be a lack of fuel. Replaced the oil filter, still no go. I hooked up a vacuum evacuator to the oil line and I'm able to draw a little fuel but it is clearly clogged, possibly frozen. Any suggestions for getting it cleared out? The tank is still 7/8 full.

Old 12-22-04, 08:26 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat tape on the line should work...

Old 12-22-04, 08:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may have water in the fuel as well.. I'd get something warm like a hair dryer to thaw the oil in the line out.

You may bet some additive to add in the oil tank to help keep the oil from gelling.

Old 12-23-04, 08:25 AM
trojanmon
Visiting Guest
Boy this is a funny one. I went out this morning to finish investigating the problem. It turns out the tank valve wasn't fully opened. When I moved in last year, I was able to get everything running and it worked fine up until now and I never thought to go check for another shutoff. Apparently the oil finally got thick enough that it clogged up.

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: