Thermostat wiring question (Honeywell TC8601 Chronotherm III)

Old 01-09-05, 01:59 PM
GreggN
Visiting Guest
Thermostat wiring question (Honeywell TC8601 Chronotherm III)

Hello Folks,

I just bought a new Honeywell T8601C Chronotherm III programmable tstat to replace my old one (which is so old that I can't figure out the make/model).

I have a gas furnace, and the wall outlet where the old tstat was has 2 wires coming out of it, one RED coloured and one WHITE.

The new tstat has the following connections:

O W G C R B Y

There's a sticker saying:

"C terminal must be connected to common side of system transformer for device to operate."

How do I connect the 2 wires ?

TIA for any help,
Gregg.

Old 01-09-05, 02:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You will have to run a new set of wires to the stat from the furnace. You need a hot and a common and you only have a hot and a load wire. Your R is the 24v hot and the W wire is the load wire to turn the heat on.

You can buy digital stats that run off batteries if it's unfeasable to run new wires.

Old 01-09-05, 02:29 PM
GreggN
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. Forgot to mention that this one does take 3 aaa batteries, but the pamphlet I got along with the tstat says

"batteries are provided as a backup to prevent program loss in case of power outage".

There's nothing else about their use. So maybe the batteries are not used for the other stuff that you indicated.

Thanks,
Gregg.

Old 01-09-05, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The model you got (8601) is hardwired, you need to run a new wire.. If you can do it, pull a 5 or 7 wire t-stat wire up.

If you can't do it, then you need T8602. (runs off the battery)

Old 12-06-10, 12:37 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honeywell TC8601 Chronotherm III - to power light bulb in outdoor pump house

Instead of turning on a furnace, is it possible to use this thermostat to turn on a single light bulb? How would this be wired? I'd like to put this in an outdoor water well pump house and turn on a light bulb for heat to keep the water lines from freezing. Thanks.

Old 12-06-10, 01:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Typically you'd use a transformer and relay.

The transformer would provide 24 VAC to operate the circuit to the thermostat and to turn on a relay that would switch 120 VAC on to the circuit you want to power.

A nice package that combines those functions is the Honeywell RA89A 1074 Switching Relay:

Honeywell RA89A1074 SPST 120V 50/60Hz Enclosed 2-Wire f - eBay (item 170453324655 end time Dec-26-10 16:16:07 PST)

I happen to have one of those available if you are interested in buying it. $55 including shipping.

It's new old stock from my furnace repair business, including the original box.

Old 12-06-10, 01:37 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Gizzer, you would be far better off buying a line-voltage electric heat thermostat. You could then wire the thermostat and lamp (or heater) in simple series with a standard plug.

Old 12-06-10, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's probably a good idea, Furd.

Even better might be to just plug the light into a wall socket.

--- One 60 watt bulb or three compact florescents!

I'll selling off my leftover inventory from my furnace repair business on Ebay these days.

Seattle Pioneer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: