Furnace will not turn off

Old 01-09-05, 11:43 PM
nicemrnice
Visiting Guest
Furnace will not turn off

Hi,

In the past, there has been a couple of cases in which my furnace would not turn off, and the house kept getting warmer and warmer. I was usually able to fix the problem by turning off the furnace for a little while or resetting the thermostat. It happened again recently, I was unable to fix it, and a technician came out and fixed the problem using the same methods that I had tried (not sure why they didn't work for me). He mentioned that my thermostat was not working properly and suggested I replace it. Which I did. The furnace has been working fine for about a week until tonight, when it refused to turn off via the new thermostat.

Does anyone know what is going on!!?! My thermostat is a new, digital one from Honeywell, and the furnace is a 1.5 year old from Tempstar.

Thanks.

Zach

Old 01-10-05, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First I need to know if it is gas or oil. They operate very differently. There isn't much that can be intermittent. A pinched thermostat wire can act up depending on indoor temp or a number of other factors that would prevent you from recreating the condition. Thermostats don't usually stick and neither do the controls, but there are a few exceptions. Check all the low voltage wires near the furnace and between the furnace and the thermostat. If you don't find anything else, you can replace the thermostat wire just to be safe. It should only cost a few dollars.

Ken

Old 01-15-05, 10:28 AM
nicemrnice
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply Ken. I have a gas furnace. The furnace has been behaving properly for the past week until last night, when the problem happened again. I'm not sure how to check the wires - what would I be looking for?

Thanks.

Zach

Old 01-15-05, 02:25 PM
If you turn off the t-sta (Switch from heat to off) the system shuts off?

If it don't and still stays on, then check for wire being pintched.

Does the main blower stay running as well?

Old 01-15-05, 10:54 PM
nicemrnice
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Jay.

If I turn the system off at the thermostat, the heat still stays on, both the furnace and the fan. Understand, this happens quite randomly...since I installed the new thermostat 2 weeks ago the heat refused to turn off twice since then - other than those 2 times it works perfectly.

I'm not sure what you mean by the t-sta. Is that one of the four wires that my thermostat is connected to? I have connects to RC (might by RH), Y, G and W.

Thanks again for your help....

Zach

Old 01-16-05, 06:00 AM
Take the "W" wire off the stat and it should shut off if it don't go down to the furnace and remove the "W" wire from the terminal strip and see if it shuts off.

Old 01-16-05, 07:03 AM
Another thing you can try when the system don't turn off when the stat is switch to off is remove the stat from the sub-base. If system still runs, then remove the R wire from RH/RC (thier should be jumper wire). If system still runs, then you will have to go down to the furnace and remove the R wire there.. If it stops, then it's the wire itself between the furnace and t-stat on the wall.. Then you'll have to replace it with a new wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: