Drop Gas Heat?

Old 01-23-05, 07:49 PM
num1badz
Visiting Guest
Drop Gas Heat?

I am a novice... however I have the loop system in my house with gas heat and radiators. For the month of December, which wasn't extrememly cold, our gas bill was $185. Our friends turned off their gas and bought a couple DeLonghi 1,500 Watt Portable Oil-Fill Radiator Heaters. They love them and are saving a lot of money. Is this a good idea? Are they safe enough to leave on all the time?

Old 01-23-05, 08:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Answer is No.

These heater are just for space heating and short term. Running these heater for a long time is hard on them. They are not safe to be left alone. I am sure you've heard on the news of a house fire cause by space heaters.

Not knowing where you are from, I couldn't say if that gas bill is high or not?

Have you had your boiler looked at to make sure it was running at it's peek?

Old 01-24-05, 04:20 AM
Depending on the size of your house a $185 bucks isn't a bad heating bill. Like Jay said I would not leave a space heater unattended.

Spend some money on insulation and it will help in comfort year round.

Old 01-24-05, 05:36 AM
num1badz
Visiting Guest
What about using them in addition to in order to use less gas? Like keep them in the den and bedroom with us and keep the radiators turned very low in those rooms? I have also searched on these radiators and they were rated as very safe....

Old 01-24-05, 06:05 AM
You could use them in the rooms that you will be in.. ONLY use them when you are home. Even thou they are rated very safe, things do happen. I still would not suggget using them as a main heat all winter.

Old 01-24-05, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Take and go to http://www.warmair.net and compare what fuel cost for where you live. This will tell you how to go . If electric is cheap go for a electric furnace or heatpump

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: