Ignition problems?

Old 02-16-05, 04:25 AM
ChrisL
Visiting Guest
Ignition problems?

I have a Weil McLain Gold Oil furnace with a Beckett Burner, and a Honeywell R4184 D 1027 Intermittent Ignition Oil Primary that has been giving me problems lately.

I live in upstate New York, and the ambient temperature lateley has been in the range from the teens to 50's. The house is about 1400 sq feet single floor. The furnace is in the laundry room. The pressure is 20psi and the temperature after running is about 190. Ther termostat is a Honeywell Repco. I am not sure of the age of the equipment.

I have had a problem about 2 weeks ago where it would kick on for about 10 seconds and kickoff.

This morning it didn't even kick on.

This may be the key to at least one of the problems. When it didn't kick on this morning I tapped the side of the R4184 and it immediately kicked on, and ran with no problem. After about 15 minutes or so of being off it kicked on again and ran for a few minutes and shutoff normally.

Also when it shutsoff there is a slight rumble heard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-05, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you should retire that ?184. It may have a broken solder joint or bad connection inside. I don't think the rumble is related but it may clear up when you install the new control. Especially if you use the 7184. It has outputs for oil valve, ignition and burner motor.

Ken

Old 02-16-05, 12:28 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The rumble when it shuts off could be a bad nozzle or cuttoff in the pump.

Old 02-16-05, 05:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
I believe you have two unrelated problems. The R8184 is almost certainly bad & I would replace it with a R7184 as Ken suggested. The choice of model within the 7184 series would depend upon how the burner is configured. The rumble could be caused by a host of things & I would not begin to speculate on the cause.