Loud boom on furnace startup

Old 02-17-05, 07:53 AM
tcwarren1
Visiting Guest
Question Loud boom on furnace startup

This is a fairly recent development, but I have been experiencing a loud boom when my furnace Burner kicks on. I have tried to vacuum out the furnace, change filters, but neither of those have solved the problem. I have a carrier downflow furnace...Model 58 DP100-BA. The unit is about 20 years old though...so maybe it is just getting to that age? Any suggestions on how to fix the porblem?

Last edited by tcwarren1; 02-26-05 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-05, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Is it in the burner, the blower are would you say duct work?????? id pull the blower and check it out motor, blower wheel, bearings???????????

ED

Old 02-17-05, 11:30 AM
tcwarren1
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Is it in the burner, the blower are would you say duct work?????? id pull the blower and check it out motor, blower wheel, bearings???????????

ED
to be honest I don't know. I have seen it kind of backfire when starting up. It seemed like the flames almost jumped out of the furnace. I have also heard a rumbling up into the duct...but I couldn't say where specifically it is coming from.

Old 02-17-05, 11:53 AM
You're getting delayed ignition and it's very dangerous. Normally it's due to dirty burners and cross over tubes. Pulling them completly out and blowing them out with compressed air can clean it up.

If it has not been cleaned in a few years you may want to consider letting a tech handle the cleaning and inspection.

Do not continue operating the furnace with it exploding like that.

Old 02-26-05, 09:59 AM
tcwarren1
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mattison
You're getting delayed ignition and it's very dangerous. Normally it's due to dirty burners and cross over tubes. Pulling them completly out and blowing them out with compressed air can clean it up.

If it has not been cleaned in a few years you may want to consider letting a tech handle the cleaning and inspection.

Do not continue operating the furnace with it exploding like that.
It was cleaned out at the begining of the season...and I have also taken compressed air to each of the burners, yet it still occurs (although not as bad as it was). Should I replace the burners? Can I?

Old 02-26-05, 11:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Late ignition

This can be caused by several things besides dirty burners. A malfunctioning gas valve or incorrect gas pressure are among the causes. Since the furnace was fairly recently serviced & you have blown out the burners with compressed air, I think you should get a service person to have a look at it. Gas + Bang = BAD (and potentially very dangerous)

Old 02-27-05, 12:25 PM
H
Had the same happen on my old furnace. Cleaning the burners with compressed air didn't help much. Took a small drill that just fit the holes in the burners and rodded out the holes in the area of the pilot flame (sticking the drill in the holes and twisting it). That helped and the flames come on again as soon as the main valve opens, without any delay or bang.

Old 02-27-05, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Don't try this

Originally Posted by hukre
Had the same happen on my old furnace. Cleaning the burners with compressed air didn't help much. Took a small drill that just fit the holes in the burners and rodded out the holes in the area of the pilot flame (sticking the drill in the holes and twisting it). That helped and the flames come on again as soon as the main valve opens, without any delay or bang.
I do not suggest a homeowner try this procedure. You could unknowingly ream out the orifices which help to regulate the amount of gas going to the burners. Professionals sometimes do this but there are other measurements which must be taken when orifices are reamed out.