BTU'S per square footage what do i need?

Old 02-18-05, 03:29 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
BTU'S per square footage what do i need?

hey guys, whats up? i am planning to replace the current furnace we have with two new ones this summer (2 because i own a 2 apt. biplex- one apt. over the other in west michigan) both apts are approx. 950 sq. ft. i am looking to power vent both furnaces (hopefully) and was curious what size(s) i could go with ( can the upper unit be a smaller btu than lower due to heat rising?) and am hoping to get an idea of price as well . thanks in advance all

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-05, 05:10 PM
A
You need to do a heat loss. Have the installer do it so if there are problems later its his fault

Old 02-18-05, 07:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
handigrguy

Al is right about the load calculation. Here is a link to a website where a homeowner can download & run the calculation for about $50. It is worth every penny. http://www.hvaccomputer.com
We can't begin to give you prices due to various pricing structures & equipment availability around the country. I do not suggest you try to do this yourself, especially in rental units. Too many liability issues.

Old 02-19-05, 02:59 AM
tinker toys
Visiting Guest
Here is a place to study
http://www.acdirect.com/systemsize.php

Old 02-19-05, 06:22 AM
You need to also look at the manufactures web site and their warranties. If you go with some internet sales site Goodman does not warranty that product.
http://www.goodmanmfg.com
Go to their site and look at their warranty it clearly says internet sales are not covered under warranty.

Web based businesses say what ever to sell the unit.

Go with a licened contractor that way you have good safeguards in case you need them in the future.

Old 02-21-05, 09:58 PM
tinker toys
Visiting Guest
1. I would not recommend a Goodman to nobody.
2. question was wanted to know what size unit he needed. I posted that site because it has a simple chart by the sq. foot and also a heat loss system to be more exact. He did not say anything about AC so a ball park figure for his area will work fine. A heating system can be as much as 20% larger and still not hurt the efficiency.
3.I never used that site or any on the web to buy equipment YET. I was just pointing to a free way to figure unit requirements. Not selling a estimating service or program.
4. I never ever used any manufacturing warrantee. They are generally set up to go off before normal wear out. If the system is set up PROPERLY you will not have early failure. Any part that fails from a part defect is and by law covered regardless who set up the equipment. that threat is just a local installer sale nonsense.

Old 02-24-05, 06:04 PM
Mr tinker toys,

Goodman 12 SEER equipment carries a 10 year parts warranty on all parts and if a piece of equipment works for seven years and has a leak in a coil or a outdoor fan motor bearings that goes out the parts are FREE. Get that from Carrier Lennox or Trane? I think not.

I do agree that units need to be installed properly, and even so they do vibrate leaks in parts with wear and wear out the parts.

Old 02-25-05, 12:39 AM
tinker toys
Visiting Guest
Mr. scottg, any unit made with Quality and installed proper will outlast that warranty anyway so its worthless. Make it 15 and free labor than they are talking. but they will not because like most the warranty ends before the life estimate ends on any part..
I hear a lot of problems with Goodman heaters and like a car if you hear a model has a lot of problems you stay away...so if parts are warranted you still go broke supporting the Tec to fix them..