sands manfg. company cleveland ohio

Old 02-19-05, 01:20 PM
tunk
Visiting Guest
sands manfg. company cleveland ohio

Hey folks,

First thread here so bear with me. I've tried a couple of unsucessful searches on this site and can't find what I am looking for. The house we moved into has an oooooollllldddddd gas furnace. It was made by a company called Sands Manfg. Company in Cleveland Ohio. It's a No. 4-T. I have the serial number on it somewhere. Anyway, I'd like to know just how old this thing is. Has anyone ever heard of this company and when they used to make these? I've only been able to find one record on line for the company dated in 1939- but it was a court case.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Tunk

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-05, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

I've only been able to find one record on line for the company dated in 1939- but it was a court case.
That might be why you cant find them. What dont it work?? Run at all????

Stay in the same post here when you post back

ED

Old 02-19-05, 03:30 PM
Can't say I've ever heard of it myself. Can you host or e-mail some pics of it??

Does it work?

Old 02-19-05, 03:57 PM
tunk
Visiting Guest
pics

Folks,

I was able to take a few good photo's and I even have some that I resized so they are under 100 kb, but the originals at 650kb are much better. I think you all would get a kick out of this thing (no it was disconnected from the live gas line I have to imagine well before we moved into the house and we haven't even dreamed of firing it up). If anyone is willing to help me out I'll email the pics, everybody who comes into the house to work on the current furnace thinks this thing's a hoot.

Thanks,
Tunk

Old 02-19-05, 04:11 PM
You can send them my way if you don't mind.

mattmayfield"at"fuse"dot"net Just replace the "at" with @ and the "dot with a real dot.

Old 02-19-05, 08:28 PM
Never heard of it.. Did a search, and didn't see them listed along with the other guys from the past.

LIke to see the picture as well. :-) Matt, you got my addy.

Old 02-20-05, 09:03 AM
That thing should be in a museum. To me it's a work of art and if my wife wouldn't strangle me it would be in the corner of the family room. I'll shoot you the pics Jay and Ed I'm also going to put them elsewhere to get information on the beast itself.

Old 02-20-05, 10:58 AM
tunk
Visiting Guest
thanks

it's cool isn't it! It's still tied into our cold water supply on it's long 100 year tour through parts of our house. Pipes dead ending where they used to go out to radiators on the front porch that were badly cracked when we got here. I'll see if I can get some better shots now that it's light out here in NE.

Thanks,
Tunk

Old 02-20-05, 11:14 AM
Wink

Good pictures There. Hey thats not a furnace you have there. More like a small boiler or a sidearm heater its just to make hot water for a bath is all. But they use it more for heat if they ran all the other pipesoff it

ALL Old furnaces all had a 30 gal water tank right by them. Off of it low came a pipe from it that had a T in it that went to the hair pin coil in the furnace and to that gas sidearm heater. The top of the coil and the top of the side arm went back up to the top of that tank. Now when you had a fire in the furnace it would heat the water for you. Then in the summer when no fire in the furnace you would go dont and light the heater to get hot water.

ED

Old 02-28-05, 05:23 PM
tunk
Visiting Guest
instructions

Ed,

Funny you should mention the need to relight the poor thing in the summer. There are neat instructions on a copper (bronze?) plate on the front of the beast. It's old school, aside from SANDS, the operational instructions are the only other written words on it. No warnings like "don't disconnect the gas line and fill baloons while smoking"... that sort of thing that's become more common place. Anyone figure out when the heck this thing was made or have any ideas where I could look? Tips for refining a web search?

Thanks,
CDT

Old 02-28-05, 09:10 PM
tinker toys
Visiting Guest
post the pics on this sight so all can see..