Bleeding air out of oil line

Old 02-21-05, 09:08 AM
rochepa
Visiting Guest
Question Bleeding air out of oil line

We ran out of oil yesterday- just got delivery today but line needs to be bled and delivery man left. Does any one know how to bleed line? I have an above ground tank in the basement and the fuel line runs to the burner underground but comes up near the burner. There is a valve at this point, right before a filter?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-05, 12:01 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A prime usually cost less than 50-60 bucks. If you dont know how to do it you could spray yourself or your furnace with oil. I had a call the other day where the homeowner tried priming his own furnace and ruined it. So instead of a 5 min service call he ended up with a major project. An oil burner really isnt like a washing machine. Not good for DIY ers to play with.

Old 02-21-05, 03:25 PM
Wow

Ruined a furnace by not bleeding the fuel pump correctly? That is the first time I have ever heard that. I can't imagine how that happened. Whatever. I bet the washing machine repair techs don't appreciate Al telling everyone they are DIY repairable.

Search in the boiler forum for bleeding instructions. We must have posted them 20 times in the last few months. I'm sure you will find enough info there to get started and post back here if you need more info.

Ken

Old 02-21-05, 05:10 PM
A
It was an Air Ease furnace with a webster pump on it. The bleader was on top of the pump The HO blead the furnace all right. Oil sprayed all over the burner compartment. The burner was soaked with oil. The toggle switch on the side of the furnace didnt work so he couldnt shut it off. The 8184g was soaked with oil The transformer was soaked as well as the inside of the burner and the motor. Amazing how a HO can turn a 50.00 prime into a 500.00 project. Not to mention the oil he had all over his face and clothes.

I actually typed out how to prime the pump for him but thought to myself do I want to be responsible when he burns down his house. I have no idea how handy he his. Do we even know if it is a prime. Could be he thinks he ran out of oil. Maybe the transformer is dead and he could saturate the chamber. I cant see it from here. Do you know if he already pushed the reset button 20 times and all thats keeping it from lighting is a piece of oil soaked carbon on the electrodes. To many things to go wrong.
Last time I checked washing machines didnt pump fuel at 120psi and have 14000 volt transformers attached to them.

Old 02-21-05, 09:37 PM
tinker toys
Visiting Guest
Gee wiz, just because things got oil soaked would not kill the burner or anything else. Just needed all the parts cleaned up and put back together.
pull the burner and spray everything with a solvent(no need to even disassemble the burner unit). Brake parts cleaner cleans up everything and no need to wipe it up after. just spray and drip dry in a few min.
Sounds to me you just had a new burner assembly you wanted to sell. What did you do with the old setup? I bet you kept it..

Old 02-22-05, 10:52 AM
A
Originally Posted by tinker toys
Gee wiz, just because things got oil soaked would not kill the burner or anything else. Just needed all the parts cleaned up and put back together.
pull the burner and spray everything with a solvent(no need to even disassemble the burner unit). Brake parts cleaner cleans up everything and no need to wipe it up after. just spray and drip dry in a few min.
Sounds to me you just had a new burner assembly you wanted to sell. What did you do with the old setup? I bet you kept it..
Tinker Toys, I hope tinker toys is what you do for a living because its obvious you dont know what the heck you are talking about.
1st I didnt replace his burner but he did need a new transformer and control and he paid quite a bit for labor too. Working on an OilBurner or Gas burner can be dangerous and it irresponsible to try to tell someone how to do it on a board. We have to be liscensed and insured to work on this stuff unlike playing with Legos.
I use my real name on these boards and have my company info in my profile, Dont call me crooked. We run a well respected family business for over 40 years. If we were in the habit of steeling from our customers we wouldnt have lasted that long. We do make sure things are safe to use and in good working order before we leave though.

Old 02-22-05, 11:16 AM
Good points

Al makes some good points and I can see where he is coming from. My family has also been doing this since 1956 and I can't agree more about professional service. I have also come to realize that some of my friends and many other aquaintances can not or will not pay for professional service. I have gotten over the bitterness that comes when someone I know gets a boiler or furnace from a wholesaler because they knew someone at the counter, or the company they work for had an account there and allowed them to purchase the equipment so they could attempt to install it themselves. It is not a customer I would have had anyway so I really didn't lose anything. If they call me for service, I will respond and do what it takes to restore the system to safe reliable operation. It may require more than they are expecting but once I am asked to enter the picture, I will not leave knowing something is mis-applied or installed incorrectly or worse yet, unsafe. I warn new customers of that and will make a courtesy visit to point out any major flaws that need to be fixed. Sometimes it precludes me from even getting the job, but you know that the last person to touch something is the first one named in the lawsuit.

However, Al, once you realize that some folks will dig in and play with their burner with or without your advice, you must know they would be better off with it. That's why I come here. To make the repair attempts of the dyed in the wool DIYer a little easier and possibly safer. I repair everything I own myself. And if I wreck it in the attempt to repair it, (which has happened a few times) I chalk it up to education and move on. Life is too short to try to force people into dealing with you. I have good friends who do not buy my fuel or have me do their service. I never mention it when we get together because I know they already know what I do and probably get discount fuel and poor service from a moonlighter but the choice is theirs. My brother in laws family has sold Ford vehicles for 40 years and when we talk vehicles, he does not try to sell me a ford. I don't like them. I am a GM man. He just leaves me alone with respect to my car and truck choices. I love him like a brother but don't want one of their vehicles. Period.

To summarize my point, Al, you sound like you have a ton of knowledge. It is up to you whether you give it up peacefully or only when it goes with an invoice. I love the oil business most of all and can never get enough of service and installation. Obviously if I make time to answer questions when I could be sleeping or doing something else, I do it because I like it. Enjoy the forum but don't put the posters down or disrespect them. I picture everyone of them (almost) as hard working people trying to save a few bucks or prevent themselves from being bilked by the many unethical contractors out there today.

Sorry to have gotten long winded.

Ken

Old 02-22-05, 11:38 AM
A
Red face

Ken you sound like the type of guy I would like to hang out with. We would probably be friends. The problem is that I have seen some nasty stuff out there as I am sure you have too. Ever see a gas water heater hooked up with a garden hose and hose clamps for the gas pipe. Plus no vent attached. When I was younger I would try to tell people how to blead their pump over the phone because they didnt have the money or were to cheap to spend it. It usually turns into a night mare They dont have the right sized wrench or a plastic hose. Can I use pliers and catch the oil in a beer can. Now its easier to say I cant tell you over the phone.
I also like helping people, like I said earlier I actually typed out how to do it but had second thoughts. Plus typeing isnt one of my strong suits so erasing it all after made me upset

Also like you I dont even want to do work for friends or family, it only causes hard feelings later. My best friend just installed a new wood burning furnace in his house and I wanted to help him but he said he could do it himself so I just backed off and now hes got what hes got

But when TinkerToys accuses me of being unethical and tries to tell me how to do something I have been doing my whole life I got ticked.

Old 02-22-05, 12:03 PM
What being on call 24/7/365 for 15 years does is make you sure what you do during the day is done right. Not only so you can sleep at night but so that you don't have to get up from sleeping and run out and correct a problem that should have been corrected when the sun was out. I rarely accept a new customer during off-hours. The promises fly like bats from a cave when they call but they are in a situation they got themselves into. Whether it is from lack of maintenance or poor quality fuel. I could be out there 18 hours a day if I was that sappy but I have been trying to have a life too. Not too successfully, but trying nonetheless. It is easy to judge someone until you actually put yourself in their shoes. I have seen some of the patch job repairs you describe (not the garden hose thing) and would not have that kind of work in my house for anything. Some people just don't get it. And buying the boiler isn't the hard part, instaling it is. I swear I can take any boiler off the shelf and it make work better than any contractor I know. Air venting, bypass loops, circulator on the supply, zoning, burner setup, you name it. It is all in the details. Not taking a whole bunch of parts out of a boz and slapping them together. That's why a 5 year parts and labor warranty is not that far fetched. The parts rarely fail out of the manufacturers warranty (and before the 5th year) when they are applied correctly.

And I'd hang out with you any day but you are too far away. If we were hanging out at your place and my pager went off, it would take me 5 hours to get back. Ha.

Ken

Old 02-22-05, 01:33 PM
Thumbs up

I think Tinker Toys you are just not with it here. On the back ground and knowledge that is here. That do try and help people here on DIY. Know when its time to just sell them something new or try and patch or fix up what they have to get by.
Take like Ken the company has been there for 49 years . Al said his has been there for 40 years . I know I havent put a post in here But my company is 46 years old . The same address and phone number all that time. And no the offfice and shop are not that old. Id say 90% of our work is just word of month. So you see we have been there done that. Thats like some friends here with some of the old heat cool companys here. As we are back in the sticks like lots of time we will lend parts to the other company and they will do the same if we need something

Id like to know just what your back ground is.

I also have one hard rule. That when my techs are out on a job and a big fat guy comes around with a cold beer and wants to know when the he** they going to get the house cool again. If he dont offer them a beer also. To just add a cold 6 pac to the bill right then and there for themselfs

My .02 cent
ED

Old 02-22-05, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
I guess I'm the greenhorn of the bunch having only 20 years in the trade 17 of which at the same place. There have been good points made here on both sides of the discussion. I have, on many occasions talked someone thru bleeding an oil burner, sometimes over the phone, sometimes on-line. When doing it on-line, it is a lot harder to get a feel as to the "customer's" mechanical ability & his oil burner knowledge. I think it is our responsibility as professionals, if we are going to be on boards such as this one, to help the "customer" as best we can. If that means taking a simple task, such as bleeding a pump & turning it into a dissertation, so be it. If I wasn't willing to help people I certainly would not be on a board entited "Do it Yourself". 'nuff said.