No-filter furnace?

Old 02-22-05, 12:03 PM
Awilda
Visiting Guest
Red face No-filter furnace?

I just bought a house that has a Janitrol-Goodman furnace in the crawl space. Previous owner told me the furnace does not have or require a filter! In the two months I've been in the house, there are small white, wool-like balls all around the floor, plus accumulations of dog hair balls. I went into the crawl space and found NO evidence of a filter or a place to put a filter. Could that be right? How does the air get filtered in a no-filter furnace? What about those white, woolly things? Is this nothing or a real serious thing?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-05, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oh my!!

There is no such thing as a no filter furnace. If this thing has been in service like this for more than a few years I highly suggest you get a hvac company in there to do a clean and safety inspection and if there truly is not a place for a filter to get a rack installed.

Old 02-22-05, 04:37 PM
And if you have an air conditioning coil connected to that furnace, you better have that cleaned while you are at it. It will be acting as an air filter and catching everything large enough to get stuck in it. If you have to get a filter rack installed, get a 4" rack put in and use the 4" filter. It will clean your house up in no time.

Ken

Old 02-22-05, 05:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Awilda

I've see quite a few Goodmans with no place for a filter in the furnace. The installer should have installed a filter rack external to the furnace or at least return grilles disigned to take a filter.

Old 02-22-05, 05:35 PM
You are right Grady. They expect you to pay $15 for some crappy clip on leaky rack that doesn't hold a standard size filter anyway. What a joke. But everybody should put some kind of a filter on. Saying you don't need one is like saying you don't need a kitchen sink. It sure does make the house a nicer place if you have one.

Ken

Old 02-22-05, 05:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Ken

I hear what you are saying. I think I could do with out a kitchen sink first. At least I could use a plastic dishpan & throw the water out the window. Don't you just love "quality" equipment & workmanship?