Where did my propane go?

Old 02-22-05, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where did my propane go?

On Feb 7, I was delivered 40lbs of propane. Sunday night, my fireplace went out. I had no clue what was wrong, so I called the propane supplier. They stopped by, and said my tank is empty. EMPTY. GONE. I have 2 gas fireplaces. Nothing else. I burned them 10 hours, tops. I have a heat pump, so I don't use the fireplaces for heat, just for decoration. My question is...could I really have used 40lbs in 2 weeks? The supplier said that they have some larger industrial accounts that use at that rate, so it is possible. They also said it is not possible for it to have leaked, as they did a pressure test when they installed the tank. I just can't imagine that I used $190 in propane in 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-05, 04:15 PM
Gas fireplaces use more gas than an average range would or even a water heater. They actually use a whole lot more. It is VERY possible that you did indeed use 40lbs of propane in 2 weeks. I use approx 100lbs in 3 months with a gas range. This is the ONLY thing in the house that runs on propane.I would say that yes it is highly possible.

Old 02-22-05, 04:41 PM
Wink

Yes you can have lots of ifs here with the Lp tank and lines. First what is the BTU of the fireplaces???? A gallon of LP is 91,502 btu A pound of LP is 21,548 btu

Now I dont know the size of the burners you have there but a 40Lb tank for two fireplaces is not enough lp for the burn off of it to keep up with the gas you need. Gas lines can be to small ????? Dont know ?But you will use more LP for the same heat. Regulator 1 stage or two? two stage works better.
That 40lb tank is under 10 gallons. You should start here with a 100 lb tank or more.. Thinking about this that comes out to $19.00 a gallon Boy I hope Im not right here.
ED

Old 02-22-05, 04:57 PM
I just bought a rather large house (2300 sq ft) with a Trane heat pump and the 2 mentioned LP fireplaces. Should I just use the heat pump for heat, or use both heat pump and fireplace?

Old 02-22-05, 05:08 PM
Wink

Ill go this way a fire place looks great but cost like he**.
That would be like where does the flue in the fireplace get its air from??????? If you dont have air intakes right by them from out side like we put in. Then it is getting all its air from hot air in the home that you have already paid for. Close the damper as good as you can. Take light ply wood or cardboard and seal the front of the fireplace as tight as you can. Ill bet you electric bill will go down and the H/P dont run as much. Have had home after home when they stopped burning the fireplace the fuel bill went down.I think a refill here for a 20 lb LP is about $12.00 so your 40lb here would be about $24.00 not $190.00

ED

Old 02-22-05, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
40# or 40 Gallons?

I don't know of any propane delivery companies who sell propane by the pound. I too find it not uncommon at all to burn 40#. Forty gallons, on the other hand seems like a lot in that short of time.
Using 91,500 btu/gal, 40 gal., & 10 hrs burn time/fireplace, (if my arithmatic is right) this figures to each fireplace using 183,000 btu/hr. I don't think so. If the delivery was indeed 40#, each fireplace would have consumed +/- 43,000 btu/hr. Easy to believe.

Old 02-22-05, 05:31 PM
So most propane companies sell by the gallon? I am pretty sure they told me #'s, but I could be mistaken. At any rate, should I just stick with my heat pump? Are they very efficeint?

Old 02-22-05, 05:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Heat pump

Yes, I would stick with the heat pump & seal those fireplaces as tightly as possible.

Old 02-23-05, 09:39 AM
Use the heat pump, only use the fire place if you need to get the chills out. or just to sit back to enjoy

I told my parents to quit using the fireplace all the time, and they saved alot on useage.

Old 02-23-05, 10:20 AM
Wink

Yes a heat pump is efficeint. Its like you get 3 times more heat for say a $1 of electric as you do for the same $1 of electric from base board heaters or the strip heaters in and electric furnace. But to compare fuel cost for oil gas and electric go http://www.warmair.net

BED

Old 03-01-05, 02:16 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Propane is often sold by the pound. $190! Did you buy the tank or put a deposit on the tank at the same time? Delivered=they dropped off a forty pound portable tank or delivered= a truck came out and pumped your tank full of propane. Assuming there are standing pilots in your fire places, I'd say 40# in two weeks is not unreasonable, just the price of it is.