blower motor & 24V transformer ok on same circuit?

Old 02-25-05, 11:50 AM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
blower motor & 24V transformer ok on same circuit?

Just wanted to make sure, do you guys see any problems/issues with a 24V transformer & a 120V furnace blower motor being on one 15amp circuit all w/ 12gauge wire? This would be the only two consumers on the circuit. The transformer is powering my furnace's gas valve & controls. Currently each one has it's own circuit so I was thinking I could free up a breaker if I spliced the transformer into the furnace blower motor circuit. Thanks and let me know if you need any other info/pics. I also posted this in electrical, sorry for duplicate posts.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-05, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, you can use the line that feeds the furnace.. I've done that lot of times when I hook up a humidifire.

Old 02-25-05, 12:51 PM
Wink

Sure its ok but Id like to know why you have two breakers for that furnace now. All furnace's like gas or oil would come with a transformer in them that would tie into the same 110V for the blower right in the furnace????

ED

Old 02-25-05, 01:04 PM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
Not sure why they put the transformer and blower motor on their own breakers but that's what they did. Furnace is extremely old so it doesn't have any modern electronics. Opps, I forgot my furnace mount humidifier is on the same circuit too and has it's own transformer. So now I will have two 24V transformers and one 120V blower motor on the circuit. Thank you.

Old 02-25-05, 04:13 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you sure one of the transformers doesn't serve the doorbell??

Old 02-25-05, 06:06 PM
Even with both transformers and the furnace you should be perfectly OK. The wire is 1 gauge heavier than the required size for a 15 amp breaker and those transformers don't draw much current at all.

Ken

Old 02-25-05, 08:56 PM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
mbk3 you guessed it, there once was a doorbell transformer but I removed that whole assembly when I remodeled the kitchen.

Old 02-26-05, 07:27 AM
Is there a transformer in the A/C unit out side?
I too am wondering why the transformer is on a seperate circuit.
Go ahead and wire it but on the r marked wire to the transformer from the thermostat also wire a inline fuse at 3 amps. You know one of those old car fuses, the AGC type 3 AMP.
Doing this it will protect your transformer, and other controls that might buck.

Old 02-26-05, 09:00 AM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
No central a/c just window units. When I started there were 3 transformers on that one circuit, furnace controls/doorbells/dining room bell, each mounted on metal boxes near the panel. I guess they had the panel space so they put all the transformers on a circuit. Thanks for the fuse tip Scottg the old cloth wires make me nervous, what do you mean by buck? short circuit? I have an extra ATC terminal around here somewhere. Thanks.

Last edited by 951Tom; 02-26-05 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-01-05, 11:48 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by mbk3
Are you sure one of the transformers doesn't serve the doorbell??

LOL! Yes make sure of this.