Carrier Heating unit question

Old 02-26-05, 11:38 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Carrier Heating unit question

My furnace Is a Carrier Model 58GSC Updraft. It has an automatic igniter to light it.
I cannot get it to light. I have followed all the directions to shut down the furnace and also followed the relighting procedures.
It will not work. The fan will blow but the furnace will not fire.
I tried to install a new thermostat ( because it was a programmable one) without any luck there either. I have re-installed the old thermostat wired exactly like it was before I tried to put in the new one.
The furnace worked fine until I tried putting in the new programmable thermostat. After re-installing the old thermostst, I still cannot get the furnace to work.
I have a couple of questions: Hopefully, somebody can provide an answer to this problem.
The blower is on all the time, which didn't used to be the case, Also, With an automatic igniter should you be able to see the pilot light burning or not? I assume not.
Any suggestions, Ideas or thoughts to help me solve this problem will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-05, 06:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
When you replaced the thermostat, did you turn the power off to the furnace? Was the furnace running at the time? Double check the wiring on the thermostat. To which terminals do you have what color wire?

Old 02-26-05, 07:02 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Does this model have a 3 wire pilot and a 5 wire valve?

Old 02-26-05, 07:58 PM
W
Originally Posted by Grady
When you replaced the thermostat, did you turn the power off to the furnace? Was the furnace running at the time? Double check the wiring on the thermostat. To which terminals do you have what color wire?
I Did Not Turn The power to the furnace off because I thought it was low voltage.
There are 4 wires....green to green white to white with orange, black to black and red to red.

Old 02-26-05, 07:59 PM
W
Originally Posted by mbk3
Does this model have a 3 wire pilot and a 5 wire valve?
I don't know how can I check?

Old 02-26-05, 09:22 PM
M
Look at the pilot . Does it have 3 wires at the base White-yellow-green. Look at the gas valve. Count the terminals 5 Lets ASSUME it does. There are 4 things that cause a carrier to go into no heat continous fan.
1-bad transfrmer
2-open limit/roll-out switch
3-open fuse link
4-bad board
You mentioned you replaced tstat without turning off power. You may shorted transformer(unlikely though)

Last edited by mbk3; 02-26-05 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-27-05, 03:11 PM
W
Look at the pilot . Does it have 3 wires at the base White-yellow-green. Look at the gas valve. Count the terminals 5 Lets ASSUME it does. There are 4 things that cause a carrier to go into no heat continous fan.
1-bad transfrmer
2-open limit/roll-out switch
3-open fuse link
4-bad board
You mentioned you replaced tstat without turning off power. You may shorted transformer(unlikely though)
Thanks for your help.
Do you know if this model furnace has a reset button?

Old 02-27-05, 03:53 PM
M
You mentioned it was an upflow furnace. The only manual reset would be a roll-out or vent switch. Roll-outs are located at entrance of heat exchanger by the burners. The vent switch would be located where vent leaves furnace. If furnace so equipped.

Old 03-01-05, 06:51 AM
W
You mentioned it was an upflow furnace. The only manual reset would be a roll-out or vent switch. Roll-outs are located at entrance of heat exchanger by the burners. The vent switch would be located where vent leaves furnace. If furnace so equipped.
Thanks again for your responses mbk3.I think we have isolated the problem to a burned out transformer. Any ball park idea of the cost of a transformer for this furnace?

Old 03-01-05, 10:34 AM
Wink

Make sure and get a 40Va transformer 24 volt can run $5.00 to $10.00 wholesale.

ED

Old 03-01-05, 11:00 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Before changing the transformer you should know that is the problem. Take a volt meter and measure the voltage between R and C. Also, check the purple 3 amp fuse that is located on the control board to see if it is blow. The fuse is far more likely to blow than the transformer if a short occured when changing the tstat.