Limit or Flame rollout switch lockout

Old 03-04-05, 05:25 PM
kevinthehills
Visiting Guest
Limit or Flame rollout switch lockout

I am looking for some information on just what might be causing this code to show up on my furnace. The brand is Carrier however I can't locate a model number on the unit. The problem I am having is the heater will not start when a call for heat from the thermostat is given. When I go down to look at it the 1-3 code is flashing on the LED which is for a "limit or flame roll-out switch lockout". I do not know exactly what this means but when I turn off the wall switch and turn it back on the unit will fire off and reach the desired level of heat and turn off. When the thermostat sends another call for heat we start this process all over again. Is this something a half way competent person could repair himself? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I live in the Chicagoland area and even though it is March it's still damn cold up here.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-05, 05:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Limit or Rollout

From what you are describing about how you can restart the heat, I doubt it is a rollout problem. Rollouts are usually manual reset, meaning you have to push a button to reset them. Limits are often auto reset. Once the furnace cools, the limit resets itself. By turning the switch off & back on, you are resetting the control board. Is your air filter clean, no vents closed or blocked?

Old 03-04-05, 06:22 PM
kevinthehills
Visiting Guest
limit or rollout

The filter is fairly clean, I removed it anyway, the vents upstairs we keep closed during the winter so I opened them. I have never in 9yrs had any of the duct work cleaned out. The returns seem to be sucking pretty good. When I remove the front cover to the unit where the burners are located it seems to work properly for a little while. I'm not sure if this info is useful to you but I am just trying to tell you everything that I notice.

Old 03-04-05, 06:26 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Friend of mine had the same problem. After troubleshooting all limits it turned out to be a bad board

Old 03-04-05, 06:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kevinthehills

As mbk3 said, it could be a bad board but I would like to try something before we condemn the board: On your thermostat, set the fan switch to "on" instead of "auto". This will run the fan constantly. If the problem still occurs, it is likely the board. Running the fan contstantly will probably cause the house to be drafty but it is for short duration & may save the cost of a board.

Old 03-04-05, 06:39 PM
kevinthehills
Visiting Guest
The unit is 9 yrs old and I replaced the board 4+ years ago. Do these units have a reputation for bad boards? Anyway I have put the fan on run and will report on the results. Thanks for the replys

Old 03-05-05, 09:14 AM
kevinthehills
Visiting Guest
Update

Well I turned the fan to on as instructed and discovered a new problem, the ignitor glows the gas valve opens, the burners light and after a few seconds the gas valve closes and the flames go out. This cycles three times and then it goes into the 1-3 code again. Does this confirm the board being bad?

Old 03-05-05, 03:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kevinthehills

No, it does not confirm a bad board. It tells me the board is not sensing flame, probably due to a dirty flame rod. Could this code possibly be a 3-1? There is likely a small rod with a porcelain insulator on the opposite end of the burners from the ignitor. If you can find it, remove, clean the metal rod with Scotch Brite or fine steel wool, re-install, & try again. Get back to us in the same thread with results.