Cantankerous Carrier

Old 03-05-05, 07:02 PM
abbynormal
Visiting Guest
Cantankerous Carrier

I have a Carrier model 48NHT042-3 installed in 1988 or 1989. For the last few years its been very finicky whenever its been raining or damp. We've had our Carrier dealer check it and they never really fixed anything, just kind of tampered with the wiring. The last few years anytime it did not light all I would do is wiggle the wiring and spray WD40 around the conections and it would usually light up. Or just cycle the thermostat off and on a while.
Now last week it totally refuses to light . The draft inducer comes on fine (I use to always suspect a bad motor but it seems fine ! ) , then the electric spark ignitor comes on but the gas never opens up for the "pilot" or the main burner. How do I test to see if its a bad solenoid or if the white control board is bad ? Or what else might be wrong ?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-05, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Now that it's down for the count it would be prime time to call the service tech in to properly diagnose the problem. Don't spend to much on it though since it is 17 years old it's close to the end of it's useful life.

Why would you spray WD40 on the connections ?