Oil Furnace burning dirty

Old 03-07-05, 08:38 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Furnace burning dirty

Hi,

After having difficulties with my oil furnace this year (would kick off frequently and I would have to hit the reset button frequently), I changed the filter, nozzle and cleaned oil gun housing with oven cleaner and cleaned the cad cell eye.

I found a tremendous amount of black jelly-like goo in the filter. I assume this to be sludge (would appreciate some confirmation of this, thanks).

This has seemed to clear up a lot of the issues as it has run for the last three days without the reset kicking off. However, I continue to have a thick layer of black soot on the inside of the chamber. When the furnace was functioning well earlier, I did not have this.

I assume that this has something to do with some sort of adjustment but I am unsure what to do. I would call an experienced technician but I am having trouble finding one who will make the trek to my place which is in a fairly remote location.

Any help you could lend would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-05, 09:49 AM
Wink

I found a tremendous amount of black jelly-like goo in the filter. I assume this to be sludge (would appreciate some confirmation of this, thanks).
You can have some there. That is why you should put a new one in each year and a New nozzle.

You are going at it ok BUT . Did you set the electrodes right.Check the transformer Check the pump pressure. You didnt move the nozzle in or out of where it was set in the cone head???? You cleaned the burner did you clean the blower wheel fan blades real good.Is the air set right.How is the draft ?Barometic damper set right? Check it all out and post back here in the same post.

ED

Old 03-08-05, 11:23 AM
J
Follow up

Thanks. I did the following:

1). Checked the electrodes. They displayed a little wear but definitely matched the manufacturer's description for spacing.

2). I did not check the transformer or oil pump pressure -- not sure if I am capable of doing that.

3). No, I did not clean the fan blades as I was afraid of getting oven cleaner on the motor. Is this important?

4). I checked the barometric draft and the weight was sliding in the groove so I can't imagine that it is set correctly. I notice that the smoke pipe is usually cool (I have a thermometer on it where it enters the chimney and it usually registers abotu 100 to 130).

5). I have not messed with the air. I assume that if it is burning too rich (incomplete burning), then it probably needs more air?

I noticed this morning that it was quite smokey in the chamber -- that is the reason why I think it is burning incompletely.

Thanks for any further advice you could give.

Old 03-08-05, 12:15 PM
Wink

#3 this could be why you cant get enough air to burn clean.
yes you have to clean it. Any time you work on a burner you have to reset the air

#4 Set the damper so you get more draft. Stack should be hotter

Ed

Old 03-08-05, 12:27 PM
J
Follow up

Thanks Ed, I will try these things this evening.

One clarification: When you mean that I should set the damper to get more air, I am unclear as to whether the barometric draft should be open or shut (more or less). It would seem to me that if it were open, then the cool air entering would actually slow down the draft moving up the chimney as the air is cooler than the smoke coming from the furnace. A little basic information would be helpful.

Thanks so much.

Old 03-08-05, 12:49 PM
Wink

Hard to say just what if you dont have a draft gauge. Cause they are set for draft over the fire. But here for now. Set it so its just about closed all the time . the stack there should be hotter

Now on most burners you have just two bolts that hold the motor on. If you take them out the motor and the fan blade should come out and you can clean it.

ED

Old 03-08-05, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Dirty furnace

Remove the nozzle & flush fuel (using pump pressure) thru the nozzle assembly. Install a new nozzle making sure it is snug in the nozzle adaptor. I suspect you have fouled the new nozzle. A poor spray pattern will give the symptoms you describe. Would be a good idea to check the filter again as well as the pump screen if your pump has one.