Gas Furnace Recycling

Old 03-07-05, 07:24 PM
siggyzonker
Visiting Guest
Question Gas Furnace Recycling

I have a programable thermostat, White Rogers. I have a 12 year old Bryant furnace. I just bought this 1600 square foot unit last Spring in Chicago.

I have the place programmed to come up from 58 degrees at 6:30 a.m. to 64 degrees, then return back down to 58 at 8:30 a.m. Come up from 58 at 7:00 p.m. to 64 degrees until 10:30 p.m. then back down to 58.

A.) The furnace will turn on, run for about five minutes, turn off for about 45 seconds to a minute and then turn on again. Is this the "heat limit switch" that might be the problem?

B.) Even with keeping the place at such low temperatures, my heating bills are astronomical. Because the furnace is about 12 years old, is it that energy deficient that I should consider installing a new furnace and entral air conditioning unit? Or, should I try to figure/fix the problem with the furnace recycling so often and maybe that will help?

C.) Or, could it be that the thermostat is that sensitive with the temperature that could be causing the furnace to come back on so often?

Any assistance would be greatfully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-05, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When it cycle, is the flame staying on the whole time or shutting off?

Fan stay on the whole time?

How's the air filter? Air flow?

Old 03-08-05, 05:35 AM
siggyzonker
Visiting Guest
Furnace Recycling

The flame will go out.

The fan runs the entire time, shuts off for the small shut down interval and then runs again. And, the fan will run a little bit after the flame goes out before it shuts off.

I have not looked at the air filter. But the air flow seems fine.

There is also a bit of "wheezing" sort of like a grrrrr/whoofmp when the fan initially turns on. Seems to be coming from the blower motor. It's loud enough to hear through the air vents in every room.

Old 03-08-05, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check your air filter... They must be changed every 30 to 60 days.

ALso, if the blower motor is making odd sounds. sounds like it's near it's end.

Old 03-09-05, 04:57 AM
siggyzonker
Visiting Guest
Gas Furnace Recycling

Thanks for your assistance. I'll take your advice and check out the air filters.

If anyone else has any guidance or words of advice regarding the constant turning on and off of the furnace or can tell me if I'm on the right track with the limit switch it would be greatly appreciated. I don't think that the air filters would be causing the furnace to turn on and off so often.

Thanks.

Old 03-09-05, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Air filters

Dirty air filters cause a restriction & often cause short cycling. As Jay said, the growling fan does not sound good (no pun intended). It could be caused by bad bearings, sagging motor mount, & other things.