gas furnace vacation settings

Old 03-08-05, 08:12 PM
americandream
Visiting Guest
gas furnace vacation settings

Hi,

I will be away from home for several months .So I won't be using gas for a while .
I noticed that the water heater has a vacation settings and and the heater temperature control inside the house has an "off" position .

The house is in Seattle so the weather is still around 45F up here.
It is about 7 year old.
The house has vents and timer to suck fresh air in and drain old air out.

question1:
Would it be a good idea to keep those settings for both water heater and gas furnace to lower the bills ? I am concerned about the moisture and condensation in the house might have undesirable effects on the house as a consequence of not having the proper ambient temperature settings(71F) but if the house has vents and automatic timer to circulate air in/out , maybe then it should n't be a concern?

question2:
What if I turn off the valve conmpletely to prevent it from getting to the gas furnace and water heater?

question3:
What is the potential issue of having just gas supply still on from the utility company and electricity completely disconnected? Doesn't the gas furnace needs to generate a spark to turn on the heat?

thx,

Adream

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-05, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Stay in the same post all the time. Turn the gas to the water heater off set the tstat to 50o Turn all the water off to the home. Have a good trip

ED