hydro-air furnace blows cold

Old 03-10-05, 05:32 AM
Slightlynuts
Visiting Guest
Question hydro-air furnace blows cold

I have two air handlers supplied heat via a zoned oil fired boiler (5 zones- 1 for each Air Handler, 1 for HW and 2 baseboard circuits).

One air handler works fine. The other frequently (and for extended times +/- 10-15 minutes) blows cold air when heat is called for. It does also blow heat and ultimately can bring the room up to temperature in the morning, although this can take an hour or two.

Originally it had a round honeywell thermostat - I adjusted the heat anticipator setting, but it did not help. I have since replaced it with a programmable digital tstat and still have the same problem. I suspect then, that the zone pump is only sporadically circulating heated water even when the tstat is calling for heat. Is this possible? What else could it be?

After installing the new tstat, I also have a new problem, that when the temp in the house exceeds the heat setting such as at night when the setting lowers (t-stat set to heat only, blower to auto) it triggeres my ac compressor unit. I have since shut power off to the compressor units, but wonder if this Air handler could just be wired incorrectly.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-05, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

I think you have the wrong tstat for there. Check your wires???? Is the water coil hot? No air in it does it have a pump to it that works right. You have a lot of ifs here . Post back in same post .

ED

Old 03-10-05, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You definitely have some low voltage wiring issues going there. The way I prefer to start the blower is to have the thermostat open the zone valve and have an aquastat on the return pipe at the air handler start the blower when the water temp exceeds 130 degrees. It is simpler than any other combination you can come up with and prevents blowing cold air.

Ken

Old 03-10-05, 04:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by KField
You definitely have some low voltage wiring issues going there. The way I prefer to start the blower is to have the thermostat open the zone valve and have an aquastat on the return pipe at the air handler start the blower when the water temp exceeds 130 degrees. It is simpler than any other combination you can come up with and prevents blowing cold air.

Ken

I agree 100% & do my hydro-air systems the same way. Works well, lasts long