Gas smell from Natural gas furnace when 1st turned on

Old 03-23-05, 06:13 AM
pawwright
Visiting Guest
Question Gas smell from Natural gas furnace when 1st turned on

Hi all, Hoping you might shed some light into this. I am not sure if it happened in the past, but have noticed it the last month or so. When the gas furnace initially kicks on (seems like it's warming up?) - hope that is the correct way to describe it, you can smell gas until the burner kicks in. It's not overpowering by any means, but it is definitely easy to smell. Is this normal? The furnace has worked well the 2 years we've had the house, though it is old - 1978 GE model PLease let me know if you need add info - I'l gladly try and supply. Thanks.

Old 03-23-05, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Gas Smell

With a gas smell & given the age of your furnace, I strongly suggest you get a pro to take a look at the furnace. There could be some very serious issues here. It could be something simple & easy to fix but it might not.

Old 03-23-05, 09:52 AM
pawwright
Visiting Guest
Thanks Grady, will do. I asked one of my friends who is HVAC and he said not to worry about it - but then again, I wouldn't actually let him work on the system. Thanks.

Old 03-23-05, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
I don't blame you

Anybody who says not to worry about the smell of gas in your house, I would not let work on my stuff either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: